Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a laptop?

(4 Posts)
CawCanny Mon 03-Nov-14 06:09:05

Can anyone help a dinosaur in the IT world?
I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a laptop to me and explain why in very, very simple terms ����
Ok, I need something that can hold (and help sort out) a lot of photos (approx
10,000?) plus some short movie clips (about 3-5 mins each, maybe 20 odd of them)
It needs to recognise an iPad, an iPhone and my DSLR camera.
It needs internet.
It needs to have Microsoft word.
That's basically it, I don't think it will get used for very much else.
Thanks very clever geeky peeps! ��

Thrholidaysarecoming Mon 03-Nov-14 22:34:53

Don't get a pacard bell....they are shit and I'm ready to fling it out the window!!

CawCanny Tue 04-Nov-14 02:26:13

Haha! Now see, that's what I'm trying to avoid! grin

4yoniD Sun 07-Dec-14 18:20:16

Are you still after help? Since you want to connect iPad, dslr etc I would say you probably want Windows or an iSomething (imac?). A chromebook wouldn't do it for you, and I don't know much about Linux.

If looking at Windows, I would suggest looking for i3 or i5 (decent processor, I avoid Celeron and don't know much about AMD) and 8gb RAM. Any harddrive would do - you don't mention a budget, but if you wanted to spend a bit more look at an SSD drive (it will load a bit faster).

Google the laptop before you buy it and check what people say. I also google the precise processor, try www.cpubenchmark.net/, as they do vary, but I probably over research! Also a laptop will only run as fast as its slowest part, so be a little wary of dead cheap deals - but that applies to most things!

This laptop is randomly chosen rather than massively researched, but consider looking at something like this:
www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-satellite-pro-r50-b-122-i3-4005u-8gb-1tb-15-6--win8-1-9T8W.html?refs=54950000&src=3
or this www.dabs.com/products/acer-aspire-e5-571-intel-core-i3-4005u-8gb-1tb-15-6--windows-8-1-9ZG3.html?refs=54950000&src=3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now