Talk

Advanced search

Why cant i download flash to my laptop?

(7 Posts)
Catsarebastards Wed 29-Oct-14 20:09:22

I know i did it before but somehow uninstalled it and cant remember what i did to get it downloaded.

I'm going on the adobe site and clicking the link to download latest version, it brings up the page with the 'install now' button so i click, it says 'initialising' and then nothing happens. Nothing in my downloads, no file download dialog box appears as expected. The help box only give directions to follow from the point the dialog box appears.

Any ideas?

DoctorTwo Wed 05-Nov-14 09:08:44

If you have a modern machine running an up to date browser Flash is redundant due to HTML5 not needing it. I have deleted Flash (I run a Linux distro on a one year old machine) and have not noticed it's gone.

nannynick Wed 05-Nov-14 09:21:20

If using internet Explorer then check ActiveX settings it may be prompting to install.

Browsers like Chrome include Flash so don't need it installed.

HTML5 is becoming more widespread but some educational sites still need Flash and Shockwave.

NetworkGuy Wed 05-Nov-14 10:55:57

Being nosy, DoctorTwo, what are you running?

BBC iPlayer pages (using Flash) on my Asus EEE running Linux Mint v13 give up with a message about "The Sound of Silence", though I can still manage to listen to the BBC radio stations via the TuneIn.com website (and have several other machines, just in case this Firefox browser isn't compatible)...

Tend to browse on this as this particular EEE is being used as a router for a wired LAN upstairs via wireless into my internet router in another part of the house, so it is on 24x7.

I use it with a secondary screen in portrait mode (1280V x 1024H) giving nice long pages for reading text documents / web pages etc.

NetworkGuy Wed 05-Nov-14 11:00:13

Cats - may be worth trying a different browser, and if you have a pop-up blocker, that might be stopping the Adobe site (without knowing what machine you are using, and the OS, it's difficult to guess what will be done on the Adobe site - many sites detect your browser and try to determine your Operating System to choose the correct file(s) for you to download automatically, rather than showing you Windows, Mac and Linux options).

DoctorTwo Wed 05-Nov-14 11:30:32

I'm running Fedora 20 and Firefox 28.0. I tend not to use the iPlayer much. It's a nice light OS which I installed about this time last year after Windows crashed on me twice in one day. It's got everything I need, and no bloat.

NetworkGuy Thu 06-Nov-14 14:38:18

Thanks for the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now