Talk

Advanced search

New ipad - wondering why I bothered

(20 Posts)
cozietoesie Fri 24-Oct-14 15:19:25

Just got a new ipad and its driving me crazy. The on-screen keyboard seems SNAFU'd in some weird and wonderful way and while I've been on the phone to Support for a long time , they have pretty well given up. (It's a relief to use this old laptop in fact.)

I'm feeling positively Luddite. Any encouraging words would be appreciated.

AskYourselfWhy Fri 24-Oct-14 20:17:39

How irritating. Where did you buy it?

cozietoesie Sat 25-Oct-14 09:33:27

Apple Store. The support person has been ace in terms of caring but they admitted that they don't have anything other than a couple of macs and a telephone line. (Apparently a hundred of them in a big room.)

I don't mind being a sandbox but I wish they'd given me a discount in recognition of it. I bought this to challenge my mind but all it's currently doing is making me realise how elegant and useable win 8 is!

Staywithme Sat 25-Oct-14 09:39:12

Is there an apple store near you? If you can go down to it, they should be able to help you. I know you can make an appointment with them and they teach you loads of trick the iPad can do. I love my iPad and find it much easier to use than a laptop. Hope you get it sorted.

cozietoesie Sat 25-Oct-14 22:35:52

Thanks for that - and I hope so as well. I'm afraid that it's the new one, though, so there just may be some Beta elements still live in it. (Support had certainly never heard of some of the problems I've had.) I'll see if I can book a session with them.

HappydaysArehere Thu 30-Oct-14 09:06:05

So sorry about your problems. An I Pad purchase is an expensive outlay and you should be having nothing else but joy. Can you let us know what problems you are having? Is it anything to do with ios8. Can see lots of complaints but being told latest iOS 8 is okay but am wary of downloading it. Can you ask for your money back. It should be fit for purpose. If you take it into Apple Store you can see someone on the Genius Bar. I am told they are fantastic.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 08:47:12

Thanks for yur response. Yes, I think it's an ios8 issue - compounded a tad by my stupidity.

I have been allocated a one on one internet based support hour with one of their techies on Saturday morning. I'll wring every last ounce of wisdom out of that (poor guy doesn't know what he's in for) and report back.

OiGiveItBack Tue 04-Nov-14 09:04:51

Thanks for updating. I'm still struggling with my iOS 8 'updated' ipad 2 sad

It's still incredibly frustrating to use and is glitchy. Apple have basically ruined my iPad with the update. I'm not happy. It worked perfectly before.

Anyway, I think I may have to buy a new model so I'm interested to know how you get on. I'm really tied in to Apple so I would be loathe to buy another type of tablet.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 09:41:05

Just to say that I have an Air 2 so don't necessarily expect any 'new model' to be fixed. I'll update with anything I learn from the techy bod.

HappydaysArehere Fri 14-Nov-14 17:24:48

Did you get the problem fixed? So curious as to what geeky guy had to say. Still deliberating on purchasing apple computer but haven't got money to waste and I am too long in the tooth for frustrations caused by apple's determination to continually upgrade at the expense of our confidence in their products. Surely better in the days of Steve Jobb.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Nov-14 17:28:28

My ipad4 is still on ios6. I daren't update the software as I hear such bad things about ios8.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Nov-14 22:00:36

Sorry for the delay in returning.

He was very .........guarded.......... on certain topics eg the definite issue that my device has with the master password input. Wanted to steer me towards the stuff which worked of which there is, I have to say, an abundance.

Nonetheless, my confidence is a bit shaken in them. (I suspect that Apple were under some pressure to put the new machine out on the market - perhaps before all the issues were truly ironed out.) It may be one to wait until at least the New Year unless you have a pressing need right now.

cozietoesie Sat 22-Nov-14 22:59:30

There's just been a massive update to IOS 8 - which may include fixes for most or all of the bugs people are complaining about. I'll test it for a couple of days.

LardyDa Sun 23-Nov-14 00:09:55

I updated a couple of days ago and my iPad 2 seems a bit happier. At least I can cut and paste now. I think it's crashing less too.

lurkingaround Thu 27-Nov-14 19:37:22

Yes, my ipad2 is a bit happier. Not totally happy, but definitely working better. What a fiasco that ios8 was. Disaster.

cozietoesie Thu 27-Nov-14 21:12:14

It's a bit happier - not completely but a bit. If the process of software updating is anything like Microsoft, they'll have rushed out the mission-critical stuff and be following up with the 'wish list' shortly. I'd be expecting a few more updates in the next two months.

differentnameforthis Thu 27-Nov-14 21:28:15

Wow ipads are crazy expensive & I know that I would not be prepared to put up with a new tablet that had so many issues. I am really surprised that you seem happy to just accept this!

Not to mention that the online support couldn't help & you didn't get complete support from your one to one.

I guess it show how much people will put up with to have the latest bit of technology!

cozietoesie Fri 28-Nov-14 10:09:09

It was really that I'd never used Apple so I felt the need for a (mental) challenge as I said above. Yes, they're expensive but we don't have a car or holidays so it's just prioritising expenditure.

We were due for a new computer anyway and I kind of wish now I'd gone for another Microsoft-based one but I'm going to give it a thoroughly good try because that could just be cowardice speaking. (It's so comforting, sometimes, to sink back into the welcoming arms of Windows.)

differentnameforthis Fri 28-Nov-14 22:46:28

Sorry, Cozie, I wasn't expecting you to justify the expense, that is, quite obviously, none of my business.

I am surprised that anyone would settle for anything that expensive that doesn't work as it should, I'd be demanding my money back.

cozietoesie Sat 29-Nov-14 07:56:21

No, No - don't worry, I didn't take it wrongly. You're quite right about returning something that's not fit for purpose but I'm just afraid that a lage part of the 'misbehaviour' might not be the device but me being incompetent with Apple. (If it was a Microsoft item misbehaving, I'd argue the hind legs off the supplier's donkey but I'm not so confident with the ipad - and to be fair to it, there are a few features which I've now 'got' so am able to use it better.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now