Talk

Advanced search

IP address

(8 Posts)
ilovemydoggy Fri 04-Apr-14 14:11:12

Hope some can help. My friend at work has done something really silly and sent a message through Facebook under a fake account to a company complaining about an ex boyfriend as soon as she done it she knew she's done wrong. She has now heard that the company wants to take matters further and wants to track the ip/URL address. I didn't think they could do this as it wasn't a criminal matter but she is saying they can. Can they?

Episode Fri 04-Apr-14 14:54:50

yes!

ilovemydoggy Fri 04-Apr-14 15:03:29

Ok thanks will let her know.

lazydog Sat 05-Apr-14 19:45:29

Not a chance, no! She needn't worry. It is not impossible for the authorities to get that info if they need to - like you say, when a crime has been commited - but no way would a random company be able to obtain a Facebook message sender's IP address. And even if they did, most people don't have a unique IP address. Many people with the same ISP share the same IP address. If she sent it while at work and not from home it could be more traceable, as your company might have a static IP (unique), but still, unless she actually threatened to murder someone, no-one's going to got to the trouble. grin I think someone's just trying to scare her.

ilovemydoggy Sat 05-Apr-14 21:37:02

Oh thank you, just told her and she is happy. It was a sim

ilovemydoggy Sat 05-Apr-14 21:37:11

Sorry too soon. It was a sim

ilovemydoggy Sat 05-Apr-14 21:39:20

It was a simple remark not even a complaint as such. Just said your company is rubbish and people are never where they say they are. One if their mutual friends said the company can have her for slander but I know they can't. I think everyone at some point has said a company is rubbish and if they tried to report that to the police then the police would laugh them away. She def won't be doing that again. Silly drunken mistake and will put down to experience.

Twitterqueen Sat 05-Apr-14 21:40:09

OK this was silly but not criminal.
She can soother her own conscience and contact the company again with her real name and apologise and say it was a personal grievance and she knows she was in the wrong.
There will be no comeback on her or on the exboyfriend.

We all do silly stuff - better to just own up and then everyone is OK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now