Talk

Advanced search

Play iPad on TV?

(7 Posts)
AnonymousBird Mon 31-Mar-14 10:00:12

My TV can "see" my iPad, so I'm connected ok via the USB lead. Photos from iPad show on TV. However, I want to play a Blink Box video via iPad onto TV.

(As you only have 48 hours to watch the video once you start, I want to check the playback on the TV with another video first so I don't trigger the 48 hours just yet.)

I have a home video on the iPad, so I started playing that, but TV not picking it up. Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.

Cindy34 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:22:01

Blinkbox does not support AirPlay, so won't send to AppleTV. Would therefore not surprise me if it does not support any other type of connection to TV (didn't know you could connect IPad to tv in any other way).

So even if you do get other videos to play, Blinkbox videos may not play.

Cindy34 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:45:38

Blinkbox Faq says connection via HDMI cable is not guarenteed. So maybe that would work though it may not.

If you want to watch pay-per-view/rental movies on TV, have a look at AppleTV which will let you rent via iTunes, and ChromeCast (lot cheaper than AppleTV but is brand new so not sure what video rental services support it currently).

AppleTV and ChromeCast support Netflix, so for older movies that could be useful.

AnonymousBird Mon 31-Mar-14 11:57:59

I've connected via a USB, and just figured that if the TV could read and display my photos automatically, then if I played a video it would somehow do that as well, but possibly I am wrong!

It's only a total one off so may just keep it simple and watch it on the Mac this time!

thanks for your help.

WingDefence Mon 31-Mar-14 12:47:33

How can you connect the iPad via USB?

We've got Apple TV and while some players work, some don't (e.g. Sky Go) so perhaps that's the same with Blinkbox?

AnonymousBird Mon 31-Mar-14 13:09:23

I just use the charger cable, then put the USB end into the USB port on the TV. Happily then displays my photos from the ipad.

However, done a bit more digging and it seems that to play any video at all, I need to connect via HDMI, so need the iPad/Digital adaptor thing.

I don't want to buy Apple TV, as it is only very occasional that I cannot stream what I want on the TV via wireless.

WingDefence Mon 31-Mar-14 14:04:17

Of course - my brain is failing today. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now