Talk

Advanced search

iPad Mini - malfunctioning chargers are driving me crazy!

(8 Posts)
CointreauVersial Sun 30-Mar-14 16:55:10

All three of my DCs have iPad Minis (which have the Lightning chargers). Of the three original Apple supplied cables one snapped and two were lost, so I have had to buy replacements.

So many replacements! I've tried cheap 99p cheapos, I've tried "officially licensed" cables, and just about everything in between, and generally they don't last more than a few weeks before either (a) breaking/falling apart, (b) overheating/melting or (c) simply stopping working/charging.

There is possibly an element of rough-handling to blame on a couple of occasions, but it is getting ridiculous. The last ones I paid £10 each for, from an independent electronics shop, and they assured me that they were top quality, and I could exchange them if there were any problems. I was back within four weeks with all three having failed, now three weeks later, two of the replacements have failed too. I'm too embarrassed to go back again.

Cables from the Apple store cost £15, but get the most appalling reviews.

I just want cables that work! Is is too much to ask?

notapizzaeater Sun 30-Mar-14 16:56:38

We have this too, but last week I saw on my Facebook feed someone who'd dismantled a pen and put the spring round the bottom of the charger cable to stop it flexing as much.

notapizzaeater Sun 30-Mar-14 16:57:51

Thought I'd answered this ....

Someone on my Facebook feed had dismantled a pen and put the spring round the cable at the end to stop it flexing as much.

CointreauVersial Sun 30-Mar-14 17:08:47

Thanks for both responses.wink

I just cannot believe how fragile these bloody things are. angry

CointreauVersial Sun 30-Mar-14 23:44:56

Any suggestions for reliable sources of cables?

Or should that be sources of reliable cables?

CointreauVersial Mon 31-Mar-14 17:57:53

Anyone? Before my DCs murder each other over the one surviving cable....

notapizzaeater Mon 31-Mar-14 18:57:00

I just buy cheap ones off amazon they seem to all last the same length of time regardless what you pay

CointreauVersial Mon 31-Mar-14 19:01:49

I think you may be right. Do you think I'll get a discount if I buy in bulk? grin

But is this a "known" issue? Are Apple planning to do anything about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now