Talk

Advanced search

shiny new computer but clueless dinosaur user!

(9 Posts)
ouchmyfanjo Thu 27-Mar-14 21:08:07

Just that really. I have an hp pavilion with windows 8.
I am getting to grips with documents and internet but am really struggling with email.
I have a google accoynt and manage a hotmail account for charity. Everytime I try to login via the Internet I get adverts to download various things to give access to email. I have no idea what to do with this.
I also get asked to join an outlook account to getaccess to ccalendars etc.should I do this. I already have a couple of accounts and don't want too many.
I know this is a ramble but as you can tell I am clueless and need some help please!

Chanatan Fri 28-Mar-14 06:02:27

Do you want to read your mail through the Outlook mail app?if so open the mail app,press the windows+I KEYS,this will bring upnthe Account settings,press accounts and then add the accounts you wish too,hope this helps.

ouchmyfanjo Sat 29-Mar-14 15:45:08

Hi chanatan.thank you so much! I will try that this evening. I am not sure how I want to rrad mail really.i would like to use my gmail but think it may be easier to also have an outlook account?
I will let you know how I get on. I am determined to get to grips with it!

Chanatan Sat 29-Mar-14 17:41:28

Are you using windows 8 just as it comes or have you added a start button using classic shell? Whilst some parts of windows 8 are very good,I find using classic shell simplifies things.

You must already have an outlook account,you have to open one in the set up process of windows 8.

Ferguson Sat 29-Mar-14 19:36:25

We use only Gmail, and find that easy and reliable. However, learning to apply Labels and Filters is a bit more complicated, as Gmail doesn't use 'folders' which other systems have.

With Internet, try to organise your 'bookmarks' into different categories, so you can find things easily.

(We use Linux, and haven't used any Windows stuff since the days of XP.)

ouchmyfanjo Sat 29-Mar-14 20:37:31

I haven't seen classic shell so thanks for the link. I'm not sure I do have an outlook account as I get a lot of pop ups saying I need one!
I tried to set one up and got to the bit where they ask you to go to another account to verify. It was sent to my Gmail account on my phone. When I tried to put in my new outlook account password in it kept saying it wasn't the right one for the account. I think it may be messed up by the fact that I am always logged into an outlook account for a charity so maybe my phone was only recognising that??
Hope that makes sense. As I said I am clueless!

Ferguson thank you it is good to hear it can be done. I spoke to a computer repair/help guy who said he'd takewindows 8 off as it is rubbish he says and he'd put 7 on instead. I would like to try 8 for a bit longer though. My brain is about to implode...!

RustyBear Sat 29-Mar-14 22:48:47

I've found I don't really need Classic shell now that latest version of Windows 8 (8.1) is out. This thread http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/geeky_stuff/2032382-Windows-8-can-it-be-simplified has advice (and links to a second thread with more advice) on how to make Windows 8 more user-friendly.

RustyBear Sat 29-Mar-14 22:49:11

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/geeky_stuff/2032382-Windows-8-can-it-be-simplified

ouchmyfanjo Sat 29-Mar-14 23:12:35

Chanatan thank you! In a few minutes I was linked in to all my emails and feel much more comfortable with it all.i have downloaded the classic shell start menu too which is more familiar. You have saved me so much time. I can actually get on with some work now!
Rustybear that's really interesting thank you. I think I saw that thread but I was completely stuck.i will read them tomorrow and see where it takes me.
Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now