Talk

Advanced search

I want to learn to code so I can create a version of my favourite open source program

(10 Posts)
goonIcantakeit Mon 24-Feb-14 07:47:38

Hello!

The programme is musescore.

I have no experience....

Please advise

prh47bridge Mon 24-Feb-14 09:54:51

You will need to learn C++ and Qt. There are plenty of books designed to teach the novice programmer how to write software in C++. Do that first. Once you've understood C++ you can move on to Qt.

You may find it quicker and easier to contact the developers of Musescore and see if they will make the changes you want. There is a forum for requests at musescore.org.

Sneezecakesmum Mon 24-Feb-14 10:23:09

Back in the dark ages I did a GCSE in computer studies. I learned BASIC computer language and it took three pages to complete the simplest adding program. shock

Good luck and prepare to have a headache grin

goonIcantakeit Mon 24-Feb-14 18:02:07

Thank you both!
I know it sounds crazy but this is the first time I have ever seen a reason to code.
Prh, is Qt the name of the language that muse score code is written in?

WMittens Mon 24-Feb-14 21:42:18

I applaud your ambition, but I'm thinking with no experience you're setting your sights a little high.

// my first program in C++
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello World!";
}

Start with that and work your way up.

prh47bridge Mon 24-Feb-14 22:02:51

No. Qt is an application framework. It is written in C++. Simplifying wildly, it allows a developer to write their application once and have it work on various platforms - Windows, Linux, Android, etc.

NetworkGuy Tue 25-Feb-14 02:35:19

It is pretty ambitious - as WMittens indicated, you could start from scratch and work to build your knowledge up.

Having (25-30 years ago) spent several years in the computing department of a higher education establishment, assisting users (from first year students up to senior academic staff) with their programming problems, you can take it from me that it can be difficult to work out what is meant to be happening (and then why it fails) - and I had the advantage of the author standing by me to explain the 'logic' they used to write the code.

Looking at hundreds or thousands (or even tens or hundreds of thousands) of lines of someone else's code, if they even allowed it, might need more than a box of headache tablets, I'm guessing!

prh47bridge Tue 25-Feb-14 09:32:49

Musescore is open source so access to the source code is no problem. But I agree that understanding someone else's code is never easy.

NetworkGuy Tue 25-Feb-14 11:41:37

Yes, had been working away, didn't take in it was open source, somehow, and was just having a warm drink after being busy (almost non-stop) for 40+ hours smile

goonIcantakeit Fri 28-Feb-14 11:43:55

thanks all again.

I know this will probably never happen. But there is an aphorism "To build a boat, you first have to need to build a boat" and so I've reached step 1 - wanting to code something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now