Talk

Advanced search

so i don't need a new printer i need a new photo programme, as windows photo viewer won't print nicely from my lappy on windows 7.

(8 Posts)
piratecat Sun 23-Feb-14 19:50:15

the old windows picture and fax viewer on my old pc running xp works perfectly.

You can't get this programme for windows 7.

Windows photo viewer and windows live gallery print very faded pictures, and i have googled and tried all option settings but to no avail.

Is there a good safe photo viewer i can download to my laptop, when i need to print from it?

I can't believe there is no resolution (pun intended) to make windows photo viewer print properly. crazy.

thanks

nannynick Sun 23-Feb-14 20:44:58

Try IrfanView

Would have thought any software would use the printer driver... so maybe it is something wrong with the driver, rather than windows photo viewer.
Have you looked on the printer manufacturers website to see if they have an updated driver for Win7?

piratecat Sun 23-Feb-14 21:49:08

i did have a little look at that thanks, i got a bit confused though, i had so many tabs open!

will investigate. i have seen many posts on forums about it, and have yet to find a conclusive answer.

thanks will look into it.

piratecat Sun 23-Feb-14 21:56:59

hmm there seem to be about 7 different ones, it's canon pixma mp460. do i just start at the end and work to the current one?? confused

not sure if one will cancel out the next?

nannynick Sun 23-Feb-14 22:49:13

Newest driver seems to be this one... for Win8 and supports Win7(64bit)

Give that a try. Usually best to install the most recent driver.

The alternative I would try is the Win7 Add On driver... that looks like it adds functionality to the driver already in Windows7.

MP460 Win7 Add-on Driver

However the add-on driver is July 2013, so not as new as the Win8 driver. Thus try the more recent driver first... see if it installs, detects the printer. If it gives problems, then try the older driver.

piratecat Mon 24-Feb-14 09:42:56

hello nannynick, thanks for your help.

I couldn't install the very latest one as it said i don't have x64 or bit?

So i went for the 2nd newest, which installed fine, but the prints are still faded, and lots of crazy lines which weren't there before.
This really is a puzzle, it's a pita to boot up my old pc to do printing, as it's rarely used.
do you have any other ideas?
I expect a nozzle check and deep clean (which i did yesterday) might help the lines, but the faded pics?? hmm
I do not like windows photo viewer.!

Try irfanview and let us know if that prints any better?

piratecat Mon 24-Feb-14 14:24:31

hello, i downloaded and tried it but it got worse.

I can't think of anything else to do except get a new printer. I will go back and look at my other thread thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now