Talk

Advanced search

iapd mini or full screen?

(5 Posts)
life1000 Sun 23-Feb-14 13:40:51

not sure how many types of ipdas are there? wanted to buy for myself- parent. mostly to use for emails, apps, work staff - I like using excel and word with tables. please coudl you recommend?

Ferguson Sun 23-Feb-14 18:59:04

We don't have any of these sort of things, and use 'proper' office-style computer.

But I always think, for anything, have the largest screen you can, unless carrying around, being in a pocket etc, is an overriding consideration.

Apple products are always more expensive than similar things from other companies, but I don't know specific brands to advise. Some companies have free 'open source' software, but it may not be fully compatible with Apple or Windows.

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Sun 23-Feb-14 20:00:47

If you want Excel and Word you will need Windows. So either a laptop or a Windows tablet.

nannynick Sun 23-Feb-14 20:15:42

Office for iPad may well be coming soon - see here.

Google Docs (Google Drive) is available on iPad, so that could be used for viewing some documents perhaps.

If you have to have full versions of Excel and Word then I feel you are best waiting to see what happens with regard to Microsoft releasing Office on touch devices.

Meanwhile, this help page may be worth a read about what capabilities iPhone Office365 is capable of doing.

Why do you want something to do home and work stuff on, could you not perhaps separate that out - get iPad for you to use, get work to provide you with a laptop or desktop for work stuff if they require you to use specific software.

nannynick Sun 23-Feb-14 20:19:21

I have iPad Mini and it is great for Mumsnetting, watching movies by myself, email, games for me and the children. I can connect it to my TV (via AppleTV) for watching movies if bigger screen needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now