Talk

Advanced search

Help!! Computer infected!! What to do???

(5 Posts)
MillyONaire Tue 18-Feb-14 15:33:10

My computer motors along nicely most of the time which is just as well as I am pretty much so computer illiterate but for the past few weeks it has just gotten slower and slower and every website I opened the screen is littered with ads. Every time I try to click on a link I get brought to a variety of websites sellling me miraculous weight loss stuff or the like. Today I was offered to chat with 20 year old Lucia when trying to buy a book on Amazon. It's so frustrating, so I am guessing it is infected with something or other - what do I need to do/buy/download to clean it up??? I apologise for the uncomputery speak! Thanks in advance.

Chanatan Tue 18-Feb-14 16:52:40

Dowload https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ if it finds anything it will quaritine it and give you the option to delete.

prh47bridge Tue 18-Feb-14 17:38:21

I would use Avast rather than Malwarebytes. It is also free. Unlike Malwarebytes they allow expert independent testers (AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, Virus Bulletin and others) to publish test results showing how good their product is at detecting malware and how many false detections it produces (i.e. clean files it mistakenly identifies as infected).

DoctorTwo Tue 18-Feb-14 18:15:28

If you're using Windows download either MBAM or Superantispyware (the free versions are good enough) and allow them to run a complete scan. Be aware many infections won't allow you to download security suites, so be prepared to download it to a USB stick and install it that way.

Once whichever program you choose has worked its magic download and install CCleaner from the Filehippo website and run it. This will clean any residual crap that might be left behind.

Then, ditch whatever antivirus you have and get Avast Free, it's regularly been shown to be as effective as the paid for suites.

somewheresomehow Tue 25-Feb-14 19:35:45

There's also Microsoft malicious software removal tool
have you scanned with your antivirus software by the way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now