Talk

Advanced search

Windows 8 update on laptop

(6 Posts)
Coolcadbury Mon 17-Feb-14 18:26:52

So we had a message saying we needed to update. Which we finally did. But in the update it asked for an email address and would not let me skip. As it's a shared lap I did not want my email to be there for everyone to see so I put in my sons, but I would rather not have that, I would rather just have the user of the computer.

Is there a way I can change it back to my old CoolCadbury user and my old CoolCadbury password?

Also, start up is really slow. It's a pain.

prh47bridge Mon 17-Feb-14 22:16:51

Did the message by any chance come while you were browsing the internet? If it did I'm afraid you have probably installed some malware and given the authors your son's email address. Microsoft's updates don't request an email address.

Oldandcobwebby Mon 17-Feb-14 22:25:29

Yup. That is almost certainly malware. Download the free version of Malwarebytes and do a full scan. With luck you will get it sorted.

Coolcadbury Mon 17-Feb-14 22:42:39

Oh bugger. Thanks for that. At least I didn't give mine. DS's email is used for things like voucher cloud etc. he won't mind, he is only six! But seriously, hopefully I will get it sorted.

RustyBear Tue 18-Feb-14 11:52:56

Actually, the widows 8 to 8.1 update does ask you to give an email address to sign in, and while it is possible to avoid this and continue using your local account, it's not easy to see how to do this - you actually need to click on 'create a new account' even though that is the opposite to what you want to do.

However, if you have any doubts about whether the request was actually part of the update process, I agree that it would be a good idea to check,

Coolcadbury Tue 18-Feb-14 14:07:33

Ok, so I did download malwarebytes but it said there was not a problem. After a lot of research it seems that I did update to windows 8.1 but did not realise. And I was meant to backup windows 8 but I did not because I had no clue and nowhere did it say I needed to do that during the upgrade hmm.

But the upshot is that I managed to go back to my local account as opposed to having a link an email account on start up. It was fairly simple to do, after following instructions from the internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now