Talk

Advanced search

Computer solutions - help!

(5 Posts)
FlatPacker Mon 17-Feb-14 09:02:31

I'm old school - have 1 desktop and 1 laptop - no pads, tablets or pods. Still use old Windows OS. Laptop is about to die so I'm looking at buying some new stuff.

DC 3/4yo use simple CDrom learning games and Youtube. I do a lot of surfing and stream Youtube too. The desktop does music.

So I thought: a Nexus tablet plus Leapad for the little uns. Do you think this is a good idea? What setups do you have?

DoctorTwo Mon 17-Feb-14 09:47:53

I have just a desktop that used to run Windows XP until it crashed and wiped the hard drive twice in two weeks. It now runs a free Linux distro (Fedora 20) which is faster and easy to use.

The Nexus tab plus Leappad sound like a good idea.

FlatPacker Mon 17-Feb-14 10:38:15

Oh does it? That's great. Desktop has Linux on it. I feel like such a dinosaur - I was struggling to use neighbour's new Windows. Humph.

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Wed 19-Feb-14 16:37:12

By new Windows I'm guessing you mean Windows 8. It's not that difficult to get around if you spend and hour or so with it. Especially with the recent 8.1 upgrade.

Having said that, my DS(nearly 3) had a LeapPad for Xmas and he absolutely loves it (not that it keeps him away from DW's Kindle Fire of course!).

And you can certainly do a lot worse than a Nexus 7 when it comes to tablets. So it's really a question of what you actually need. I don't use my PC all that much but when I do need it, I really need it, so won't be getting rid of that anytime soon!

FlatPacker Thu 20-Feb-14 07:02:58

I thought I'd replied yesterday, but that only happened in a dream perhaps. Sorry! I suspect all I need to do, as you say, is play for a bit. And I will have to eventually.

The thing about investing in new gear is I'm always worried something'll be missing - I'll not be able to stream videos, or there is no USB - little surprises I've not thought of. See what I mean? I think the LeapPad will be a cert and for me, I shall look at some reviews today for the Nexus 7.

Thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now