Talk

Advanced search

Facebook "contacts online"

(12 Posts)
Dumpylump Sat 15-Feb-14 10:33:49

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to stop the wee green dot showing beside your name to indicate you are on Facebook?
I have a couple of friends who will message me every time they see it, and then follow that up with a "you not speaking?" text if I'm not quick enough to respond.
Sometimes I've just quickly gone on to FB on my phone to check the pages of the dcs clubs/activities as they often post change of time or venue information on them, and I don't have time to get into a messaged conversation.
Also,the green dot seems to stay there for a little while after I've closed FB on my phone, giving the incorrect impression that I'm still on it.
Just figured it would be easier all round if there was a way to stop it showing anything at all. Can anyone help?

TheMinionsHaveThePhonebox Sat 15-Feb-14 10:42:35

You can turn off chat, which means you won't show as online. But I think you have to turn it off for everyone, rather than just a couple of people.

flumperoo Sat 15-Feb-14 10:43:02

I don't think the green dot shows up if you log on via internet rather than the phone app.

flumperoo Sat 15-Feb-14 10:43:55

I think that on the phone app you don't get the option to turn chat on/off but you do via internet.

Hassled Sat 15-Feb-14 10:44:05

I'm permanently offline on FB - on my FB page there's a "turn on/off chat" button on the left hand side, near the bottom.

Dumpylump Sat 15-Feb-14 10:44:09

I don't mind doing it for everyone - to be honest, it's one of the bits of FB that I'm not really that keen on. Do I need to be on a pc to turn off chat?

TheMinionsHaveThePhonebox Sat 15-Feb-14 10:44:46

I lie, you can "Turn on chat for all friends except..." in the advanced chat settings.

The green dow does still show up if you log on via the internet, at least on mine it even says whether people are on web or mobile.

Catsmamma Sat 15-Feb-14 10:46:12

no...you can turn it off for certain people.

you have to put people into groups and then go into the settings cog on the chat box...not the one you type in, the one where all online folks are listed....there is a wee cog at the top

generally it is easier just to group the people you want to talk to!

Hassled Sat 15-Feb-14 10:46:16

On the phone app - Find "More" along the bottom, then tap the outline of a person on the top right, then there's a cog/gear icon to turn chat on/off.

Catsmamma Sat 15-Feb-14 10:47:15

oh it's Advanced Settings you need to click once you have the options up.

MirandaWest Sat 15-Feb-14 10:48:31

I never do chatting on fb - turned it off at some point as I don't want people knowing when I'm online and if I want to chat to people I don't want to do it through fb.

flumperoo Sat 15-Feb-14 10:48:55

Thanks Hassled, I really didn't think you could do it on the app and I've wanted to for ages! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now