Talk

Advanced search

iPad / iPhone games for a 4 month old...

(21 Posts)
juniper44 Fri 14-Feb-14 10:12:24

Yes, yes- she's very young. But she's also very inquisitive nosy and very very alert. So much so that she barely slept for the first 2 months. I was told, repeatedly and independently, that she may be the re-incarnation of Maggie T hmm

Anyway, I digress.

I'm looking for apps, preferably free, for her to play with. I have one called Magic Fingers which makes patterns as you touch the screen.

Any other suggestions? I'm very pro ICT so have no qualms about introducing her so early to the wonders of technology!

Bornin1984 Fri 14-Feb-14 10:13:52

At 4 months shouldn't your child have rattles/teething toys etx instead of iPad games??

Is this what kind of world I shall bring my baby into!!! Technical at 4months old hmmhmmhmm

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 14-Feb-14 10:17:13

I'm extremely pro technology as well and my dds were proficient in ipadding by 12 months but even I draw the line at 4 months old. No matter how alert she is there really is no need.

OwlCapone Fri 14-Feb-14 10:18:25

Seriously?? This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.

Buy her some baby toys and don't be daft!

Artandco Fri 14-Feb-14 10:18:58

Huh? Too much and that will be why she can't sleep/ settle

Honestly. Babies get very overstimulated at that age. Turn the tv off, add nice blanket on floor and let her stretch. Pop her in sling facing you snug and go for a walk. Cuddle her and play peek a boo

In pro technology but not for babies who can't even sit up or see focused yet! A toddler and child needs plenty of time also to use imagination of play/ climbing/ outdoors. Tech has its place, but not really until school age at least

HyvaPaiva Fri 14-Feb-14 10:20:16

hmm

Bornin1984 Fri 14-Feb-14 10:23:15

Actually! Is this for real????

Sounds like u can't be arsed with ur child and want to plop her down with a iPad! Why don't u just save te hassle and introduce child
To ceebeebies !!!

sesquipedalian Fri 14-Feb-14 10:31:56

If she's inquisitive and alert, why don't you talk to her and play with her? Far more stimulating than anything an i-pad can offer!

WeeClype Fri 14-Feb-14 10:33:55

Try buying a playmat with toys hanging over it! Or some bright rattles.

This has to be a joke!

Scampi33 Fri 14-Feb-14 10:39:33

Try Fisher Price apps - there's one called 'baby' which has various animals on and some songs - I sit and sing along or talk about each animal with my LO while he moves the animals so you are playing and interacting as well as introducing technology.

Bornin1984 Fri 14-Feb-14 10:42:25

Scampi, does your child really move
Animals at 4months old?

Scampi33 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:07:29

Probably not at 4 months. He's 14 months so can't really remember when he started swiping the screen to get to the next animal.

Theas18 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:44:42

HaHa 4 months??

juniper44 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:32:40

Hmm. So this is AIBU not geeky corner? I didn't ask for opinions about whether I'm right or wrong.

At which point did I say I'd be using the iPad as the sole form of entertainment? I have every piece of brightly coloured tat you can have. She has just spent nearly two hours in her Jumperoo, happily jumping, giggling and playing with the toys.

She has rattles, play mats, arches, singing sun-face things, Lamaze toys, a Bumbo (which she enjoys chucking plastic boats off) and a whole range of other stuff. I sing to her a lot. It feels like we live in a Disney film a lot of the time.

Surely the aim is to entertain and develop the link between cause and effect? So why is an iPad such a no no? Far better than her watching TV. Watching TV is completely passive.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 14-Feb-14 14:45:18

Don't be daft. You've asked for recommendations. Seeing as how the reaction has been 100% amazement I would have thought it was obvious that apps for 4 month olds are thin on the ground, if they exist at all. And there's a good reason for that.

Artandco Fri 14-Feb-14 16:05:57

Sounds like she's overstimulated. Iv never known a 4 month old to bounce in a jumper for 2 hrs. At 4 months most still sleep every 90 mins or so.

8am wake
9.30 -10- nap
10-11.30 awake
11.30-12.30 nap
12.30-2 awake
2-3 nap
3-4.30 awake
4.30-5 nap. Etc

By the time they have eaten, had nappy change, there's max 1 hr left before napping again. Babies need to sleep, their growth and brain development happens during sleep. Therefore if you stimulate all day and not enough sleep they will have no way of processing

juniper44 Sat 15-Feb-14 02:07:59

My child does not sleep. She never has. If she would go down, I'd be a million shades of happy. She just does not need a break. Mummy does, as mummy has functional things such as 'the toilet' to attend to. Baby has never done sleeps during the day. I'm very grateful that that she's started doing them in the night.

I'm not forcing the two hour Jumperoo. I try to take her out but she just jumps in my arms instead, with a weirdly intent facial expression. She's a very active child. She sleeps not.

The iPad idea has been a recent thing; simply to try and stimulate her as the rest of the world seems dull. I either have a child prodigy on my hands, or a child with chronic ADHD.

Incidentally, if I actually were not coping, then the whole 'you can't be arsed with your child' idea would not help. It's lovely to see fellow mothers who are supportive... why do women need to rip each other to shreds? I asked on the appropriate forums, yet a few messages in I've been called a lazy mother. I mean, seriously...

somedizzywhore1804 Sat 15-Feb-14 02:16:16

Nothing to add re original post but my parents maintain that I was this alert at that age. I don't think it's unheard of. I never slept. I think I drive them both to the edge in my first few years grin

WeekendsAreHappyDays Sat 15-Feb-14 02:22:01

she does need more sleep, have you tried wrapping her? I have a high needs baby and more children and I know how hard it is to get things done - hence why I am mumsnetting at stupid o clock instead of sleeping.

Bornin1984 Sat 15-Feb-14 03:25:26

Regardless of what u r saying this is still theist
Absurd thing I've read today!!! If u need to wee u go wee! U let her cry for a minute or leave her safe ie
Crib/Moses basket or rocker whatever!

I also stand by original post hmmhmmconfused

BOFtastic Sat 15-Feb-14 06:02:34

Haaahaaaaa. Good one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now