Talk

Advanced search

Phone contract thicko

(5 Posts)
Rewy Thu 13-Feb-14 11:32:26

Please can someone explain the process of what happens when a phone contract ends?
My first 24 month contract is up in April , i can upgrade from middle of March.
I want a new phone (not sure what ?)
If i change providers ,do i need to put anything in writing if the contract is up?
Do i keep the phone?
I am clueless and dont want to appear so whilst in the shop.

Theas18 Fri 14-Feb-14 08:51:12

Yes you keep the phone.

Absolutely put that you wish to end the contract in writing and send it recorded delivery- stash the letter and deliver receipt somewhere safe.

Give notice on the contract and consider going P+G for a short time whilst deciding what to do.

Do some internet chasing about what you want/what you may get offered (money saving expert websites is good). Do not take the first " well we really value your custom and can offer you X, as it's usually utter pants and may even be worse terms than an a new customer would get!

Decide what phone you want and what network. If you are happy where you are you can even port your number out to a cheap sim and back again to get " new customer" offers...

However undoubtedly (as a rule) the cheapest way to run a phone is to buy it outright and use a SIM only deal of some sort.

(my personal favourite current phones are Motorola Moto G for a cheap smart phone (£100) and nexus 5 for a high spec (£300) at the moment.. plus a SIM at £10/month say and you are "in credit" by the time the 1st year is up compared with paying £35/month or what ever)

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Sat 15-Feb-14 09:25:51

Don't forget that you might get a good deal on upgrading with the same network. Once you're upgrade eligible, give them a call tell them what you want, ask for their best deal on the new phone. Then hang up and ring them right back choosing the 'you are thinking of leaving us' option. They will almost always improve on the 'best' offer you've just been given.

Sadly, networks aren't quite as generous as they used to be because their user base is now saturated and they don't have to try so hard to retain customers. But they do still try a bit! Gone are the days when Vodafone used to pay ME to take a brand new top of the range phone, sigh.

NetworkGuy Tue 18-Feb-14 09:46:25

A bit depends on the current phone, I'd say. While I'm not a particular fan of the iPhone, I know a friend of my sister was able to get a significant sum from the network to return his old handset when he upgraded to a new one (another iPhone).

In terms of phone in a contract, and buying outright, then it depends on the cost of the phone. If you're after a new, top of the range, model, that costs from 400 up, it may work out best on contract (or even only be available on contract, in some cases).

SIM Only contracts can be great value, and the SIM will be usable with any (suitable) phone. The phone needs to be either unlocked or on the network for that SIM, and my advice would be that depending on what you want as your next mobile, it might be worth shopping around and considering options.

For example, if you stick with the same network, you may find they don't supply the mobile phone you'd really like. If you have an old unlocked phone as an emergency, you could consider moving your number {just briefly} to any other network {on PAYG} and then see what deal looks best afterwards. You can check the various stores like Phones4U and Carphone Warehouse (and online, affordablemobiles, e2save.com and so on) and if you find the phone you want, on contract with the network you want, then even if the network don't offer that phone, you can get it via other route (eg e2save)

DO NOT REQUEST CANCELLATION of the contract - ask for your PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) which gives the network notice you want to take your number away to another network (the PAC is only valid for 30 days so ask for it when you are at start of 30 days before contract ends). That request triggers their Retentions team to ring, to try to keep you as a customer of the network.

NB If you ask to CANCEL, some networks are awkward about issuing the PAC. I had to go to OFCOM and back to the HQ of the network, to get them to issue me with a PAC, because their system could not issue a PAC if I was cancelling (I blame their system, or that they decided to make it that way to be bloody-minded for the sake of it!)

If you do end up leaving, expect a couple of "final" bills. One will be for any final charges (if applicable) and the second will be maybe 2-4 weeks later (in case you used your mobile abroad in the final month, and the network has just received data from overseas for your usage).

Some people negotiate a price reduction and/or a lower cost for some mobile (compared with pricing on the web site). If you have seen what other networks are offering, and for how much, it helps so you can tell your network what a poor deal they are offering.

Finally if you do switch to a PAYG (keeping your mobile number), then look out for some of the cashback deals from TopCashBack or Quidco, as you would be starting as a new customer even if you went back to the same network, eg on a SIM Only deal, or with a new mobile phone.

Rewy Tue 25-Feb-14 22:14:50

Hi im so sorry for coming back so late to my own thread blush Just wanted to say thankyou for the advice given. Didnt intend to leave it so long but dont often get on here .
I have been shopping around today and am getting closer to a decision .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now