Talk

Advanced search

Nexus 7 vs ipad mini - parental control

(8 Posts)
frankie4 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:34:10

My ds aged 12 wants to buy a tablet with money he has saved from Christmas and birthdays. I know that if he gets an ipad we can remove the Internet icon and replace it with a parental control search engine such as F -secure Child Safe. He won't then be able to reinstall Safari as it will need a password to do this.

Is this possible to do on a Nexus 7? I am not familiar with the Nexus, and don't know if you can password protect the reinstalling of the Internet?

AliceinWinterWonderland Wed 12-Feb-14 18:36:48

If your internet is secure, you just make sure the child doesn't know the password for it. No worries. That's what we do.

I will say this much. We have both an ipad mini and a Nexus in the house. I much prefer the ipad mini, and that's saying something as I do like the Nexus, but just like the ipad more. The Nexus has a couple flaws in it that can occasionally reduce it to a brick that requires some fiddling. (outside of warranty)

frankie4 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:42:50

What do you mean when you say your Internet is secure? Do you mean your Internet access from the wifi? I know on the ipad we can put the childsafe app on to go on the Internet and prevent access to the general Safari app. But not sure if we can also do this on the Nexus.

I also would prefer the ipad, but my ds really wants the nexus, and it is cheaper.

TheMinionsHaveThePhonebox Wed 12-Feb-14 18:45:10

K9 web protector is one we looked at when we were considering letting DS have an android tablet, it seems pretty good.

AliceinWinterWonderland Wed 12-Feb-14 18:56:13

oh sorry, I see what you're saying, I thought you meant you wanted to be able to completely remove internet access sometimes.

I don't use any childsafe stuff on it, as he is always right next to me when he's on it and I monitor him very closely. Sorry.

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Thu 13-Feb-14 08:15:09

Android has far more available in the way of customisable parental controls through various apps. This is because Android apps can control the system much deeper in. Apple don't allow third parties to fiddle much below the superficial so Apple parental controls are much more basic and easier to bypass.

With Android you can control almost any aspect of Internet connection from no Internet at all to restricting access to only specific sites, for example.

Also with Apple, you'll find that THEY decide what is or is not suitable for you or your family to look at online. Personally I'd rather make my own decisions.

frankie4 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:53:33

Pedro - thank you. With the nexus, is everything password protected so that my ds cannot reinstall the Internet?

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Sat 15-Feb-14 09:15:20

Depending on which apps you use you can restrict pretty much anything you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now