Talk

Advanced search

Help! laptop won't connect to the internet

(3 Posts)
LeonardoAcropolis Thu 06-Feb-14 09:42:52

Hello! I am a total luddite and am having problems with my laptop which is notconnecting to the internet. The signal is fine, no probs there but when I attempt to open internet (explorer) an error message appears:

"The proxy server isnt rexponding"

Check your proxy setting (what's that?)
Make sure your firewall settingd arent blocking your web access
Ask your system administrator for help

Now it has done this before, when I installed avg free 2014. I corrected it by removing a mcaffee anti viral which was already installed on the computer (with the guidance of AVG helpline).

It is a Dell laptop, Windows 7.

Please help, I really need to use it today

prh47bridge Thu 06-Feb-14 10:04:40

It sounds like Windows is set up to use a proxy server but you haven't got one. If you want to find out what a proxy server is I suggest you look it up on Wikipedia.

Open Internet Explorer. Click on the cog icon at the top right of the screen (or hold down the Alt key and press X) and select "Internet options". A dialog box will appear. Click the "Connections" tab then click the "LAN settings" button. There is a check box labelled "Use a proxy server for your LAN". Clear that check box then click Ok until you are back at Internet Explorer. That should resolve the problem.

LeonardoAcropolis Thu 06-Feb-14 10:09:29

It worked! Prh47 you are a diamond! flowers

And I will look up 'proxy settings' on wiki, thank you flowers again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now