Talk

Advanced search

How much is 100GB a month?

(16 Posts)
LaBelleDameSansPatience Wed 20-Nov-13 07:29:29

Seems like a daft question, but my internet provider has always given me unlimited data as part of a bundle of electricity, phone, etc. Now they have changed to giving me 100GB a month and charging for greater use. I have never worried about my usage and am wondering how much I will be able to use the internet.
Is 100GB a month just using email and google? Would it allow me to download films or upload photos?
I watch bbc iplayer for about an hour in the mornings (5am with a cup of tea - lovely). If the program is paused, is it still using up my data allowance?
If the laptop/ipad is on and the google window open showing a page, is it using my allowance even when I am not using it? (I may have to learn how to turn off the ipad! blush

captainbarnacle Wed 20-Nov-13 07:31:45

100gb is a lot smile I use 40gb a month watching some I player and daily web use.

tribpot Wed 20-Nov-13 07:36:54

Yep, it's loads. Normally when providers cap data they do so way above what the bulk of their users are currently using. Does your bill not tell you what your monthly usage is?

You will be using some data when the iPad is idle as it will be polling for new email and things like that. You'll also take a (small) hit when downloading updates to apps and so on, but I wouldn't be concerned. If you want to limit what the iPad can do you can always put it into flight mode rather than turn it off, then it won't try to connect to the internet.

Depending on the quality of the movie, a feature-length film is usually about a gig in size, going up sharply for Blu-Ray etc. The quality offered on streaming sites (like iPlayer) is usually less.

LaBelleDameSansPatience Wed 20-Nov-13 13:37:38

Thanks. So I really don't have to worry. Didn't think the bill would say ... but didn't think of checking!

GaryTheTankEngine Wed 20-Nov-13 13:39:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slalomsuki Wed 20-Nov-13 13:49:52

I've gone over 100gb per month on my phone on a regular basis. At home we have a number of devices that pick up the wi-fi and we must be over that amount.

I would suggest you check out what you use at the movement and make a decision based on that.

LaBelleDameSansPatience Wed 20-Nov-13 13:51:39

Oh ... just when I had decided to forget about it ... will dig out the bills!

GaryTheTankEngine Wed 20-Nov-13 13:53:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 20-Nov-13 13:58:54

How much is 100GB?
In everyday terms, 100GB is equivalent to:

20,000 digital music tracks
157 CDs full of data
21 DVD movies
150 hours of streaming HD video
285 hours of streaming SD video

Copied from Internet.

Wow slalom are you sure you mean gb and not mb on your phone?

TarkaTheOtter Wed 20-Nov-13 13:59:41

How much is 100GB?
In everyday terms, 100GB is equivalent to:

20,000 digital music tracks
157 CDs full of data
21 DVD movies
150 hours of streaming HD video
285 hours of streaming SD video

Copied from Internet.

Wow slalom are you sure you mean gb and not mb on your phone?

tweetytwat Wed 20-Nov-13 14:00:59

I get 60MB on my broadband and never use anywhere near. But we just MN surf/email mainly but now the children use iPlayer a lot too. Don't download music or films because we don't know how .

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 20-Nov-13 14:03:43

I'm sure slalom means 100Mb.

I used about 60-70GB a month when DH and I were playing world of warcraft and downloading the latest american TV shows. I'd say unless you are into big time downloading, you won't go over 100GB.

Your current ISP should have something on their portal for you to check your usage.

Naoko Wed 20-Nov-13 14:19:40

100GB is loads. DP and I are heavy users, lots of streaming, lots of gaming, a fair amount of downloading, and although I'd be keeping an eye on my usage if I had a 100GB a month cap, I doubt I'd be going over it. Well, maybe in December because of the Steam sale. grin

If all you do is browse/email, watch Iplayer, and occasionally download a movie or two, you'll get nowhere near.

LaBelleDameSansPatience Wed 20-Nov-13 20:17:16

Not even that, Naoko; I once downloaded a movie. And Iplayer only works until about 7am, when the internet slows down so much that the programs stop working. Maybe I'll be OK!

Narendramnr Fri 30-Jun-17 08:57:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NetworkGuy Sun 02-Jul-17 19:36:50

Just saw this (as the MNHQ deleted post really needs a way to be completely deleted, thus not visible and therefore not giving the conversation a "kick" and making such an old thread visible again...

I've been averaging 400-500 GB a month for the past few years, partly because I often watch TWiT.TV live (TWiT = this Week in Technology) and sometimes binge-watch things from NowTV (I bought a box for £15 quid at Christmas and it came with 3 months of Entertainment package (normally costing approx £21)...

Oh, it was the new Now TV box, by the way, with an Ethernet socket on the back, now sold at £25 (and I got a second, with 2 months of Movies, both from Asda).

I think an hour of HD TV eg from BBC iPlayer was (last time I checked) about 600 MB so 0.6 GB. So that 150 hours of HD TV seems pretty good as an estimate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: