Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Idiots's guide to playing DVD on my new laptop

(6 Posts)
lalalonglegs Thu 23-May-13 16:58:21

I've just taken delivery of a Toshiba Satellite, I've got the DVD in the drive but I cannot, for the love of all that is holy, get the wretched thing to play. On my old laptop (RIP), it just came up automatically in Windows Media Player - this laptop has WMP but I can't find anything that lists the DVD on it, it only takes me to my (non-existent) library. Am weeping with frustration as have a long car journey over the weekend - please, please help...

HabbaDabba Thu 23-May-13 20:55:28

If you got W8 then no idea but if Windows 7.....

Go to Control Panel » Hardware and Sound. For "DVD movie" select appropriate option. This will get WMP to start up every time your PC detects a DVD.

HabbaDabba Thu 23-May-13 21:00:25

I've just launched WMP from my Desktop and you are right. There isn't any way to play the DVD. But if set the autoplay as describedvabove then that get around the problem.

HabbaDabba Thu 23-May-13 21:04:30

Ah hah. I see it now. Left hand side is Playlist, Music, Videos etc. At the end of this list is "DVD title (drive letter). Click on this. The rest is obvious. Got there in the end.

lalalonglegs Thu 23-May-13 21:18:49

It is W8 - really hate it sad. Thanks for trying.

HabbaDabba Fri 24-May-13 11:49:00

W8 or the latest WMP shouldn't be radically different as far as playing DVDs are concerned.

Assuming that the problem is still outstanding.... Does your laptop recognise your DVD drive? If you go into My Computer or whatever the W8 equivalent and you can't see your DVD drive then there is your problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now