Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me everything you know about wii u

(14 Posts)
JetSetWilly Sun 12-May-13 20:42:12

Have looked on Nintendo website but none the wiser to be honest! Can you tell me everything you know please?

Do you have one? Is it any good?

So far I've worked out its a hand held device that cannot be used on its own. Does it come with its own box to insert disks? I think you can download games is that right?

We already have a wii. Am I right in thinking that I can use my wii controllers? And games? What about the wii fit board (not that it ever gets used grin)

Reviews I've read don't sound great but ds is adamant he wants one for his sixth birthday

TIA

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Mon 13-May-13 19:01:24

Ok, so it's basically the next generation Wii. So think Wii with better graphics, faster processor, etc.

The handheld bit is just the controller with a touch screen for extra functionality.

You can also use your existing Wii controllers (and Wii fit) and play your Wii games on it.

JetSetWilly Mon 13-May-13 22:28:31

Thanks for that smile

Do you have one?

Bit pricey to upgrade a little bit when the wii does the job ok! Also sick of using disks-they always get scratched and end up not working grrr would be great if I could download games-saw the word download somewhere but not sure if it mean I could download games

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Tue 14-May-13 09:29:33

I don't own one myself, but fairly familiar with it.

To say it's an upgrade might be a bit misleading. It's like getting a PS3 when you already own a PS2, it's a brand new console, just happens to be similar in terms of look and feel because it's still Nintendo.

And yes, you can download games, from the latest titles to some older classics.

JetSetWilly Tue 14-May-13 13:57:17

Thanks again pedro

Now if I can download games it might be well worth it as the wii disks get scratched and unplayable every so often angry

niceguy2 Tue 14-May-13 20:20:19

Personally I wouldn't bother. Nintendo are failing to shift anywhere near the numbers of consoles needed to keep games manufacturers interested in developing titles for the Wii U. That means as time goes on, your DS will struggle to get decent games.

JetSetWilly Wed 15-May-13 17:13:59

Thanks for posting, did read that niceguy. Something about lucasfilms not being interested in the. Wii u and of course they have the rights to Star Wars.

Just don't know how I could explain this to 6 year old and convince him to change his mind!

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Wed 15-May-13 19:20:21

The thing with Nintendo though, is that most of the best games are Nintendo's own franchises. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, etc.

Granted they licence these out to 3rd party developers a lot these days, but there's always going to be an in house drive to get these games made. And let's face it, Nintendo make the best games!

JetSetWilly Wed 15-May-13 19:45:39

You are right pedro ds would be happy with Mario

Would need some Lego games though! Don't know who make those

fuzzpig Wed 15-May-13 19:56:09

I have only heard Not Good things about it sad shame as we were thinking of getting one at Xmas - our wii will be 6yrs old by then and we'd heard you can still use original remotes etc.

There is nothing wrong with our wii and we were only thinking of getting the wii u because I'd heard they will stop making new titles for the regular wii sad

Now thinking we will keep the wii as there's some games I never want to be without (wii sports resort, wii party...), but probably get a ps3 (or 4 if they are available by then?) as actually I do really miss the more traditional ps2 games we used to play and I much prefer that type of controller for platform games (I know you can use GameCube controller but there aren't that many games that work with it)

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Thu 16-May-13 08:24:44

For Lego, you're in luck. Lego themselves own the rights, but Nintendo are heavily involved in production and business development of the games. Plus they have spent a lot of time integrating the newer games with the Wii U controller.

In terms of not being without your Wii games fuzzpig the Wii U plays all Wii games too, so you'd still be able to use them.

I'll admit that I prefer the PS controllers for more traditional gaming, but nothing beats Nintendo for multiplayer and party games.

JetSetWilly Fri 17-May-13 11:19:55

Thanks again for your posts

Pleased to hear about the Lego games pedro! You know lots about gaming thanks for sharing smile

I guess that's why I posted in the first place because the reviews I've read haven't been great. But DS is only 5 so I wasn't intending to buy a ps2/3 or Xbox as they seem to be for older children (I may be wrong) and I know for sure he likes the Nintendo games. All DS's friends seem to have a wii, as opposed to Xbox/play station.

JetSetWilly Fri 17-May-13 11:21:01

Plus with the wii u we can use our current controllers/games (the ones that aren't scratched hmm)

fuzzpig Fri 17-May-13 15:10:31

Yes I think you are right about the wii being more child friendly than Xbox/ps3. The games tend to be much more physical than something where you sit and only move your thumbs! That's why if we do get a ps3 this Xmas we will still keep the wii and I expect any playstation games will just be for me and DH.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: