Talk

Advanced search

Google Play

(5 Posts)
LIZS Sat 11-May-13 15:29:19

Have this app preinstalled on my phone . Could someone explain how it works , do I need to create an account ? Could I download free apps from there or elsewhere without having to do so ? tia

nannynick Sat 11-May-13 16:35:35

If its an Android phone, which I suspect it is, then it will use your Google account. You can find apps which are free.

Run it and see what happens, expect it will prompt for login details if it can not obtain them from your phone data.

LIZS Sat 11-May-13 18:04:41

So I need to create a Google account ?

nannynick Sat 11-May-13 22:44:55

Yes, the google play store app on my phone is tied to my google account. I can not select anything else, though maybe someone else knows if it can link to something else but I would doubt it.

Perhaps start by going into phone settings. In mine it has an accounts section in which it then has google account.

Could you find someone who can physically see the phone to help you as it is very hard to know what you need to do without knowing a lot more about the device.

NetworkGuy Sun 12-May-13 13:14:59

Perhaps worth adding that once you have a GMail/Google account it means that you can download any paid-for app on a future Android device without paying again (before you think "it won't matter if I never use it" and choose not to remember the password).

Then there's the Google Wallet (if you download any Apps or films or music that has a fee) for which that Google account could be handy (and you cannot leave any 'feedback' about Apps if you aren't logged in). It's also used by some other web / bricks and mortar firms for handling payments, similar in some ways to PayPal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now