Talk

Advanced search

Attaching a normal computer screen to a netbook

(7 Posts)
OneHandFlapping Sat 11-May-13 13:33:39

I'm thinking of getting a netbook - it would be my only computer.

When I'm at home it's going to drive me mad trying to work at a 10 inch screen. The one I'm looking at has an HDMI port.

What connector do normal computer screens use? Is it HDMI? Or can I get an HDMI adapter to attach a normal computer screen (we already have one of these)?

Just asked DH; he says 'it's complicated'

Depends on the monitor. You can get HDMI to DVI or HDMI to VGA cables but it depends on which the monitor uses. HDMI connector would enable you to use a HD TV as a monitor although that might be more annoying than the netbook screen. Dh says if you google DVI and VGA images it'll be clear which one your monitor has. HTH.

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 11-May-13 13:41:05

You get a monitor wire and connect it it's not at all complicated I can do it grin then you toggle a key on the laptop that usually looks like a laptop to screen (on mine it's a function key you press FN to get it) and it goes to the big screen.

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 11-May-13 13:42:37

There's a cable point on the side of my netbook with about 12 teeny holes in it - you need that it's usually a blue connection with two pegs on each side and you connect it to the laptop and other end goes to the screen. Amazon do them.

www.amazon.co.uk/Monitor-Replacement-SVGA-Cable-Black/dp/B001MQGOLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368276134&sr=8-2&keywords=cable+connect+laptop+to+monitor

Not complicated to attach the cable - just complicated trying to explain which connector without knowing which connector iyswim smile

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 11-May-13 13:45:54

Depends on the monitor though - all I did was amazon search it and it came a day later smile

OneHandFlapping Sat 11-May-13 14:16:18

Sounds like it's a runner then.

Thanks all.

<goes shopping>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now