Talk

Advanced search

Sending apps to different phones

(13 Posts)
TweetPetite Wed 17-Apr-13 19:23:16

I wondered if anyone could help?
My friends ds has has an accident (minor thank goodness) but she's so stressed with work and crappy family at the moment I would love to an him an app to play with tomorrow as he's definitely off school for a while (he's 6)
I have an iPhone and think she has a Samsung galaxy. Is there a way for me to buy a fun app and send it to her in the same way I can from iPhone to iPhone? Would be very grateful for help and also any tips on appropriate apps! ;)

Thanks so much

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 17-Apr-13 19:24:51

I don't think so, sorry.

TweetPetite Wed 17-Apr-13 19:31:57

Thought that might be the case.
Thanks so much ItsAllGoingToBeFine for replying. Will think of something else to do instead.

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Wed 17-Apr-13 19:41:21

No, iPhones aren't compatible with non Apple stuff. Annoying really.

Can you give your friend the money and have them buy it on the phone themselves?

NetworkGuy Wed 17-Apr-13 21:36:02

There's a free game called "Car Traffic Control" by Emanuele Padula which might appeal... it has taxis, buses, and cars which come in from different entry roads (2 top, 2 bottom and 2 each side), and they must be parked in spaces on screen, then controlled to go off the screen without hitting any others... Ah, just tried reinstalling and AVG warns it has "push adverts" - but trying it out, you can say to skip the adverts.

It's slightly addictive and frustrating {avoiding crashes} and you need to be quite fast, but a youngster has smaller fingers and a sharp mind! (but you must remember to drive on the right as it's a US game)...

NetworkGuy Wed 17-Apr-13 21:47:17

Another freebie (US) Car game - "Car Conductor: Traffic Control" by Top Casual Games. It has a motorway with vehicles arriving on different lanes, each with a number so on lane 1, a car may arrive with a "1" or "2" to indicate it needs to exit in lane 1 or 2, and so on.

You just drag {with your finger} any of the vehicles diagonally to get them into the necessary lane.

You get a flashing light to show a vehicle is about to come in on a lane, you can pause a vehicle so if it has to switch lane, you can wait (briefly) for something in the intended lane to go past.

Starts with 4 lanes, and small cars, then adds a barrier blocking a lane, then goes up to 5 lanes... has a VW camper van, adds juggernaut trucks later... music can drive you mad so switch it off after a few goes!

TweetPetite Wed 17-Apr-13 21:51:54

Pedro, thank you. It is very annoying indeed!!' X

NetworkGuy Wed 17-Apr-13 21:56:27

"Air Control" (there are free and paid-for versions, think it's under a quid for the paid for version, but depends on exchange rate for precise cost).

Red and blue planes arriving at random and need to be landed at particular runways without crashing into (slow) helicopters. Different levels have different layouts and planes, so one has a Zeppelin and various fast and slow planes... Cars might be easier, depends on how quick he picks up the different speeds of the planes...

NetworkGuy Wed 17-Apr-13 21:56:54

Pedro ?

NetworkGuy Wed 17-Apr-13 21:58:48

Which car game did you try?

TweetPetite Thu 18-Apr-13 10:45:09

NetworkGuy, thank you SO much for taking the time to pass on those recommendations. I've sent them on to my friend and have given her ds a budget to choose things.
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to the thread, and thanks again for all your help!

NetworkGuy Thu 18-Apr-13 11:00:53

You're welcome TP...

I should have suggested creating a mail account on GMail for her DS, so she could go to the 'Play store' (appropriate for DS but not for business users of Android, IMHO) and using his account, be able to add free apps from the store to the phone. His apps would then be available on any Android device (tablet, TV unit, mobile) in future under his GMail a/c, and not be listed under her apps when she sets the account back to her own e-mail.

Also, that way, if there's any CC/DC linked to her GMail account, it cannot accidentally get charged in the way many iPhone using parents have had happen with hundreds of pounds in some cases, because a 'free game' may have add-ons costing 69p, 6.99 and as much as 69.99 (!!)

I hope it wouldn't be charged (it has been a year or more since I bought anything, and adding new devices, I can just install anything I've previously purchased so not been prompted (or not prompted) about a card number as it's not been needed...

NetworkGuy Thu 18-Apr-13 11:10:13

I didn't suggest Atomic Bomber (some parents hate war, and it's whole objective is bombing jeeps, trucks and tanks while avoiding the MiG (so it's USA vs USSR which I guess will never go away from some games makers)...

One that I tried recently is called Lazors (LASERs) which ranges from easy to v difficult, even for a (moderate) snooker player that can see how to achieve certain angles...

Laser beam (or beams) fires and must be deflected around to hit various 'sensors'. Blocks can be moved around to go only in certain locations on a grid. Some blocks absorb, some reflect, some are translucent so can allow beam through and a reflection. As well as blocks you can move on the grid, some have 'fixed' blocks (either absorbent or reflective).

As you achieve success the count of 'hints' goes up. I've done 'OK' so far with about 20 hints accrued and have only used one or two (mostly accidental touching the wrong part of the screen!) but I am currently stuck at about 40% of the way through. I normally spend an hour or so before bed, trying to get through the one that's evading a solution, for now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now