Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Using phone for internet

(5 Posts)
Battlefront Wed 23-Jan-13 10:14:18

I am way behind the times and have just acquired my first phone that can access the internet.

I've gone for the lowest package which includes more than enough minutes and texts for me but very little internet access. This is fine because when I'm at home I can use my home WiFi and I really hope I don't turn into someone who has to be permanently attached to the internet when I'm out and about!!!

However, I'm frightened of using the phone's internet connection when I think I'm using the home one and running up a big bill. I think I've set all the settings to avoid this, but is there an app (or other way) to check how much of my web access limit I've used? It's a Samsung Galaxy Ace on Talk Mobile.

Thank you

niceguy2 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:38:18

You can dial 5888 from your phone to keep an eye on your usage.

Not sure if it's the same but on my Samsung phone you can also press settings -> Data Usage to tell you.

There are also many apps on the google play store which will also track and give you a warning if you are approaching the limit.

Battlefront Wed 23-Jan-13 10:51:03

Thank you, that's very helpful smile

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Thu 24-Jan-13 08:37:02

Also don't forget that the phone may well be accessing the Internet even if you are not using it. Smartphones are constantly connecting to the sky to sync emails, update social media, check you location, etc, etc. So unless you are very, very careful it will be using some of your allowance when you are away from home (on the other hand, that's sort of the point of smartphones anyway).

Mcnorton Thu 24-Jan-13 08:53:20

I use a v useful free app called My DAta Manager available from Google Play for this. you can tell it your data package details and it will estimate a daily amount for you. it really helped me get a handle on what I was using and how much it costs. plus what sites I was visiting most!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now