Talk

Advanced search

Unwanted PC clean-up ads

(4 Posts)
Tragedies Fri 04-Jan-13 05:55:27

Unrequested boxes for paid-for PC clean-ups are appearing on my laptop. They are from Tuneup Automatic Maintenance and TuneUp Utilities. They specify that my PC is no longer optimized. How do I get rid of them permanently? If anyone can help, words of one syllable would be appropriate!

NicholasTeakozy Fri 04-Jan-13 12:12:53

Download and run MBAM (MalwareBytesAntiMalware) until it completes a full scan. Note there are two versions, one is free. The free one differs in that you have to update it manually and is perfectly good.

Then download the free version of CCleaner, open it, go to settings and left click on secure overwrite-3 passes. Go back to the main page, left click analyze and let it work its magic. If you're running it for the first time it may take a few minutes to complete a scan. It should also get rid of cookies stored on your pc too so hopefully your pop ups will stop. Then click delete and a dialog box will appear asking you if you want to delete stuff permanently. Confirm that you do and it will.

Also consider getting an adblocker.

Tragedies Fri 04-Jan-13 19:37:51

Right! Great! Many thanks!

NicholasTeakozy Fri 04-Jan-13 21:16:04

I evangelise for CCleaner. It is the best free tool for keeping rubbish off your computer.

If you have Chrome or Firefox as your browser consider adding HTTPS Everywhere and Ghostery. HTTPS Everywhere forces SSL on your PC, the same protocol used by the banks. Ghostery blocks tracking cookies. It actually tells you how many, and what they are, are on whichever page you're viewing.

All essential for online security IMO.

Also consider switching from Google to Ixquick. It uses the same engine but doesn't record your IP address and combined with the above measures (along with enabling Private Browsing in Firefox) means enhanced privacy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now