Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

i Pad 3 or 4?

(10 Posts)
VeryTattyTinselMum Tue 18-Dec-12 15:05:23

Santa is bringing me an i Pad. I want a 64gb so I can load all my , CDs and clear some shelves in my house and use it to watch things on i-player, mumsnet etc. to get me out of my home office. I will use use it on the move but mostly at home. So lovely, geeky mumsnetters can you help me from your experiences: what is the difference between i Pad 3 and 4?

VeryTattyTinselMum Tue 18-Dec-12 15:07:47

And is it worth paying the £100 for cellular connectivity?
TIA

ChessieFL Wed 19-Dec-12 21:15:04

I'm not sure you can still get iPad 3. You can still buy iPad 2 and the new one which is 4. Not sure what the differences are - the new one has a better screen but not sure what else.
Paying for 3g - depends when you want to use it. If mainly at home and you have WiFi then 3g not worth it. But if you want to be able to access internet anywhere then you want 3g. But don't forget you will then need some sort of data subscription for it.

LittlemissChristmas Wed 19-Dec-12 21:31:14

My DH has just bought me one. The one with retina display (think that may be the 4?). The apple website has a good comparison page. We decided to just go for wifi as we will also use mainly at home. If using out so many places now have sometimes free wifi such as costa so I couldn't see point paying the extra plus so much each month just for the odd occasion I would use it

VivaLeBeaver Wed 19-Dec-12 22:05:49

Well I can't tell the difference between my ipad2 and ipad4 apart from my ipad4 is heavier and feels oddly weighted. Can't see the difference in having the retina display.

VeryTattyTinselMum Fri 21-Dec-12 07:55:13

Thanks for advice all

Glittertwins Fri 21-Dec-12 08:04:22

The iPad3 also has the retina display and I struggled to see the diffence in the shop between a 2 and 3. The camera on the 2 is appalling and I think they have improved this now. I have a 64 gig one and it is used all the time on wifi. We also have a 32 gig which is 3G, totally accidentally and we only paid for the wifi version, which is only used with wifi.
We both have unlimited data plans with tethering access on our mobiles so we have no need for 3G iPads.

Pourquoimoi Fri 21-Dec-12 08:15:15

I have a 3 but have just bought a 2 for DSs birthday. Can't really tell the difference to be honest.

We have wifi only as we use them at home the vast majority of the time. With an iPhone you can tether data (I.e. use your iPhone data allowance and signal for the iPad) although some providers charge for this. I think Vodafone is free, orange charge £5 per month.

Enjoy smile

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 08:30:29

I've never had 3G on my ipads and have never missed it. There are WiFi hotposts or I can create one with my phone.

If you can afford the new one, go for that.

PartridgeInARustyBearTree Fri 21-Dec-12 09:59:36

The biggest difference between the ipad2 and the newest one is the connector - the ipad2 has the 30 pin connector, the new one has the tiny lightning connector like the iphone5, which doesn't have many accessories so far - I was trying to get DH a gadget to play his iPhone in the car and all they could offer in the Apple store was the adaptor.
So if you already have docks etc, you may need to buy an adaptor if you get the 4th-gen iPad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now