Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a tablet or something else??

(10 Posts)
ChessieFL Sat 15-Dec-12 15:17:19

I really want a tablet but trying to work out what to get. Budget not really an issue (it will go on credit card so the more I spend the longer it takes to pay off grin. But I don't want to buy something really expensive if something cheaper will do what I need.

It will be mainly used for internet surfing (mumsnet, facebook,email etc).
I have a Kindle - I would like to be able to have the same books on the tablet as on my kindle if possible, although I will still mainly use my kindle for reading as the backlighting on tablet no good for long stretches.
Would also like to be able to download/access TV and films to keep myself DD occupied when travelling.
I will occasionally use it for work but this will mainly be downloading documents to read and perhaps making notes at a meeting. I will use my home PC for 'proper' work iyswim!
I don't play games so not bothered about that - might download a couple for DD but nothing fancy, she's only 3.
Not bothered about camera as I can't see me using that (I've got a good digital camera and would use phone rather than tablet for photos otherwise)

I also wonder whether a tablet is the best option and whether there are other choices (e.g. portable DVD player) that might do these jobs better.

If it helps I have an Android phone although am thinking of getting an iPhone next year so I can use that instead of my iPod which is ancient and will probably die soon!

I am not bothered about being tied in to Apple/Amazon/Google - just want to get the best product for my needs.

Thanks!

nannynick Sat 15-Dec-12 15:35:10

Kindle Reader is available for iPad and Android, and Windows8 I think, so whatever you get you can probably get a Kindle Reader for it.

Watching TV/Films whilst travelling? Hmm, I don't think all devices support Off-Line watching of TV/Films. So that may be a limiting factor.
Where would you be getting the Films/TV from? Do you mean watching iPlayer, or do you mean renting films on-demand? Do you mean whilst physically travelling, such as in a car, or do you mean once you are at a location which has a good WiFi connection? Hotel WiFi can be rather expensive, just to warn you, though B&Bs I find often provide it for free.

ChessieFL Sat 15-Dec-12 15:44:54

Not sure where I would get films/Tv from - I'm a bit thick when it comes to things like that! Yes, it would be while travelling so in car/on ferry/in airport etc. So unless I get a 3G tablet it would have to be stuff I can download.

CountryBelle Sat 15-Dec-12 22:17:43

Chessie ur post is identical to my thought process at the mo! Know i dont really need one as i have android phone, laptop abd kindle. Would be using it for same as u. thinking of getting a 16gb ipad. no idea why though!!!!

nannynick Sat 15-Dec-12 23:31:21

I'm getting an iPad mini and like you both I have no real idea why - my mum wanted to buy me something for xmas and she loves her iPad.

iPlayer for Apple lets you download things for watching later. However the press release says that for Android that will come later. So one reason iPad may be better is that things are being developed for it before other platforms.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sun 16-Dec-12 00:00:49

Have a look at the ASUS Transformer Pad TF300. It is an Android tablet with detachable keyboard. This means it can act as a tablet or as a laptop. Video-wise you can download stuff or rip it from a DVD. DS watches a lot of Peppa Pig on ours in the car.

Some things do still get developed for iPad earlier, but this is getting ever rarer as Apple is rapidly losing market share by producing over priced products with no real advantages, so I wouldn't worry about that.

ChessieFL Sun 16-Dec-12 08:57:09

Thanks for the suggestions all!

ReallyNotTotallyStupidPromise Sun 16-Dec-12 13:41:29

I've just started a thread in chat about a tablet that's on offer (£90 on a nectar deal) then saw your thread so thought I'd have a look at it. I am so confused! I'm going to go and have a look at the ASUS thing though - that sounds good.

ChessieFL Sun 16-Dec-12 18:12:11

Thanks really. It is a minefield isn't it! I keep making a decision what to get then I read another thread on here and change my mind again!!

ReallyNotTotallyStupidPromise Sun 16-Dec-12 18:25:27

Me too - I've wasted so much time on this today and other days. Still undecided!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now