Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best way to watch live tv on tablet

(8 Posts)
Chooster Wed 12-Dec-12 21:18:47

My mum is very poorly and would like to watch tv in her bedroom. They have tv with sky in the main living room but she doesnt want a sky box or big tv in her bedroom . She only wants a very small screen she can put up on her bedside table when she wants it... thats why I was thinking a tablet...

Anyone got any ideas. There is no aerial in the room

GozerTheGozerian Wed 12-Dec-12 21:22:32

Perfectly feasible with a tablet I would think. We use ours for similar.

We have an ipad and if you are a sky customer, you can download their Sky Go app which means you can basically watch your Sky channels on your ipad.

There's also an app called TV Catchup which shows all of the freeview channels live.

The only requirement I would think would be a good internet connection - you can buy ipads which work off the 3g network but she'd be tied to a contract. If you go a wifi enabled one they are a bit cheaper but your mum would need wireless broadband.

Picture and sound on ipad is great though.

PoppyWearer Wed 12-Dec-12 21:22:42

Tvcatchup.com if she has wifi?

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 12-Dec-12 21:23:21

has she got Internet access? www.tvcatchup.com is freeview for laptops/tablets/iPods etc. You get every freeview channel live, just like watching TV.

PoppyWearer Wed 12-Dec-12 21:26:06

Xpost with everyone!

Chooster Wed 12-Dec-12 21:52:28

You gems!! I knew I would be missing something... thanks for all saying the same thing too. Makes life easier! They have wifi so I just need to get her a decent tablet and the app you have mentioned... cool!! Thanks. Is the sky go app for all tablets or just ipad?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Thu 13-Dec-12 11:43:21

Sky Go is available on most older Android devices. Sky haven't released it for the latest versions of Android yet but it's coming soon. Although it's a little overrated anyway unless you have sports or movies packages as the channel choice is very small other than that. If you had a laptop however, you can watch ALL your subscribed channels on the PC version of Sky Go.

BertieBotts Thu 13-Dec-12 11:46:11

Sky Go is definitely a good option - I don't know if you have to pay more for it?

iPlayer also has a "watch live" option - you must have a TV licence for this but I guess she probably does if they have a TV smile

I would go for an iPad personally because the apps tend to be updated first for iPad so you have more guarantee it will work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now