Talk

Advanced search

Wikipedia and a "view no adverts" policy/idea

(1 Post)
NetworkGuy Wed 28-Nov-12 13:53:58

Seen on Wiki today...

"Dear reader: Wikipedia isn’t meant to advance somebody's PR agenda, sell you a product, or persuade you to believe something that's not true. That's why we'll never run ads. We take no government grants. We're the #5 site in the world, but we're a non-profit that pays its bills by asking readers to pitch in once a year. When we've covered our expenses - servers, power, rent, programs, staff and legal help - we stop asking. If everyone reading this gave £5, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. If Wikipedia is useful to you, take a minute to donate. We just need 1% of readers to donate. We're not there yet. Please help us forget fundraising and get back to Wikipedia. Thank you."

(NB I made the text bold, above.)

I am going to go back and donate. There's a pile of info (from history of bits of equipment and software to names of episodes of TV shows and films and 'discography' of some bands, etc, which I dip into from time to time.

I'm also tempted to suggest Mumsnet offers a subscription model, available for those who choose to opt in, such that they would see none of the adverts, just white space, during the year covered by their subscription. I have no idea of the cost of running MN or MNHQ but cannot imagine the advertising that is seen by me to amount to more than 2-3 pounds in revenue for MN and that's what I'd willingly pay to have none of it shown.

Just my view, of course, but if it meant that once I had logged in the ads could be hidden from sight, all the better for me.

It might not be viable, of course, for MNHQ, if the many quick-fire threads in chat, relationships, etc, where a minority of posters clock up hundreds of posts a week and presumably thousands (or tens of thousands) of page views (ie Advert views, even if they buy nothing as a result of those Ads, and mentally blank them anyway), but I'd be interested to know if it seems just a daft idea, or few/no others would be willing to pay to hide ads (or just hide them anyway using browser add-ons). I'm thinking of the instances where I use my phone and see ads (though admit is has been a while as I don't write essays and cut/paste is easier on a laptop/desktop in my view!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: