Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wikipedia and a "view no adverts" policy/idea

(1 Post)
NetworkGuy Wed 28-Nov-12 13:53:58

Seen on Wiki today...

"Dear reader: Wikipedia isn’t meant to advance somebody's PR agenda, sell you a product, or persuade you to believe something that's not true. That's why we'll never run ads. We take no government grants. We're the #5 site in the world, but we're a non-profit that pays its bills by asking readers to pitch in once a year. When we've covered our expenses - servers, power, rent, programs, staff and legal help - we stop asking. If everyone reading this gave £5, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. If Wikipedia is useful to you, take a minute to donate. We just need 1% of readers to donate. We're not there yet. Please help us forget fundraising and get back to Wikipedia. Thank you."

(NB I made the text bold, above.)

I am going to go back and donate. There's a pile of info (from history of bits of equipment and software to names of episodes of TV shows and films and 'discography' of some bands, etc, which I dip into from time to time.

I'm also tempted to suggest Mumsnet offers a subscription model, available for those who choose to opt in, such that they would see none of the adverts, just white space, during the year covered by their subscription. I have no idea of the cost of running MN or MNHQ but cannot imagine the advertising that is seen by me to amount to more than 2-3 pounds in revenue for MN and that's what I'd willingly pay to have none of it shown.

Just my view, of course, but if it meant that once I had logged in the ads could be hidden from sight, all the better for me.

It might not be viable, of course, for MNHQ, if the many quick-fire threads in chat, relationships, etc, where a minority of posters clock up hundreds of posts a week and presumably thousands (or tens of thousands) of page views (ie Advert views, even if they buy nothing as a result of those Ads, and mentally blank them anyway), but I'd be interested to know if it seems just a daft idea, or few/no others would be willing to pay to hide ads (or just hide them anyway using browser add-ons). I'm thinking of the instances where I use my phone and see ads (though admit is has been a while as I don't write essays and cut/paste is easier on a laptop/desktop in my view!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now