Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I drowned my mac

(5 Posts)

Macbook in my bag. Unknown to me my water bottle lid came off....sad

Not realising I tried to turn it on.. dead. No charger light , no light on macbook , nothing.

Is there a hope in hell of it being repairable? (out of warranty anyway) or is it a case of sob as it goes in the bin.

Gutted just doesn't begin to cover itsad

tribpot Sat 24-Nov-12 19:22:45

It may live again. Certainly my mate's iPad that he left out in the rain for 5 hours (yes really) had risen from the dead after being stored in rice and then silica (I think) for about a week.

It needs to completely dry out before you try to touch it again. I would let it air dry somewhere very warm and then pack it rice for a few days.

QuanticoVirginia Sat 24-Nov-12 20:01:50

I dropped my kindle in the bath this week and DS has previously got his i-pod wet too plus various mobile phones. If you can remove the battery do and then wrap all parts in kitchen towel and then bury in a bowl of rice for about a week (depending how wet it got). In all rpecedding cases the itme has been as good as new.

I had been told this wouldn't work if you tried to switch it on and it was still wet as it would 'frazzle' the internal workings. However I have done this and still manged with the rice method.

The only time it didn't work was when my mobile and palm pilot went through the full cycle of a hot wash!!! It's worth a go (otherwise do you have accidental dame on your house insurance??)

QuanticoVirginia Sat 24-Nov-12 20:04:17

Oops damage not dame

notnagging Sat 24-Nov-12 20:15:25

Don't bin it! Try the rice. If not you can remove the hard drive & transfer the contents to a new one. Do you have accidental damage insurance on your home insurance policy? You will have to go the Genius Bar for a repair quote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now