Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ipad vs samsung galaxy note tablet - do android apps compare?

(7 Posts)
GoodyGumDrop Mon 19-Nov-12 11:37:51

Went to pcworld yesterday with the intention of looking at ipads but have been seduced by the Samsung - if I upgrade my phone I'll apparently get a 350 voucher to use at pcworld! But not on applesad

It seems too good to be true but if it is basically the Samsung will be free. However if I go for iPad the apps are infinitely better, especially for kids. I'm thinking of splice, puppet pals etc.

Does anyone have experience of kids apps for android?

Help, v confused!

niceguy2 Mon 19-Nov-12 13:11:41

Apps for Ipad are definitely more mature and better. I'm not convinced though that it's worth £350!

Why not get the samsung tablet and just get a cheap second hand ipad from ebay for the kids?

GoodyGumDrop Mon 19-Nov-12 13:21:43

Good idea niceguy. I want the tablet for me smile Don't trust the kids with a fancypants iPad anyway given their laptop dropping tendencies! Also I'm not convinced about the ipads storage capabilities.

Woozley Mon 19-Nov-12 13:23:56

I had the use of my Mum's iPad for three weeks while DPs were on holiday.

I wasn't impressed, just hate the fact you can't DO anything, well, if it's not OfficiallySanctionedByApple. There is not even an off switch, or a USB port. There's no Google Maps but Apple Crap Maps instead, well you can have Google Maps, sort of, but not StreetView. There is no File Manager! Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".

I'm reasonably technically savvy, but not an IT geek or anything, and I find the iPad patronising, Noddyish and frustrating. It's like a LeapPad for adults.

I got a Nexus 7 32GB from PC World and would wholeheartedly recommend it. As would numerous tech review sites.

reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/google-nexus-7-review-50008423/

Or if you want a bigger one you could get a Nexus 10 for £320.

GoodyGumDrop Tue 20-Nov-12 15:41:27

Agree about the wizard of oz thing and hate the apple exclusivity, I tunes, etc but kids apps do seem much better. Hopefully the android market will catch up soon.

NetworkGuy Tue 20-Nov-12 19:33:07

My guess is that while so many profess the wonders of everything Apple, the App writers will think of the cash coming from their next App (OK, appreciate many apps may be free, but developers cannot live on just enthusiastic thanks, and need some cash coming in too).

So it is a bit chicken and egg - just as with the PC market there are expensive and less expensive models with some minor problems from time to time with certain software, Android, as it has lots of manufacturers, has a range of prices, but for developers can cause some headaches.

The SanctionedByApple situation has some benefits, but also some drawbacks (the lower cost of non-Apple kit in the past meant so many more users that there is freeware and shareware and low cost packages in abundance, compared with the range of software for the Mac).

I expect it will be similar (but in reverse) with iPad vs 'the rest' insofar as many developers will perhaps concentrate on the Applie iPad / iPod Touch / iPhone apps, and those for Android will be always a bit behind, at least for maybe the next 3-4 years. At that stage, if the lawsuits haven't stifled development too much, Android kit may have shown itself the more popular overall (depends how well the next few generations of Apple products do) and apps for the Android will be high quality, cheap/free and plentiful.

NetworkGuy Tue 20-Nov-12 19:34:51

Sorry for the essay - in brief, I think soon might be 4 or 5 years away sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now