Talk

Advanced search

Please help me with a tablet for my 8 yr old.

(11 Posts)
Myliferocks Mon 19-Nov-12 11:11:59

My head is spinning!
I have £80 to spend on a tablet for my 8 yr old DS.
I have an iPad and my DD has an iPod touch but I can't afford a touch at the moment.
I have no idea what I need to be looking for in a tablet.
I'm not expecting a tablet that is all singing and all dancing for the money I can afford but I would like to get the best I can for my money.
TIA for any help given.

MrsCantSayAnything Mon 19-Nov-12 21:01:55

. back soon.

ledkr Mon 19-Nov-12 21:05:41

I know it's a bit more but dd has a blackberry play and its beautiful to use. It was about 120 but if you could get a voucher code?

Myliferocks Mon 19-Nov-12 21:10:19

ledkr Our budget is definitely only £80 as eldest DD has expressed an interest in having a tablet for Christmas as well so we could be looking at buying 2.
Thank you for your help though!

SavoyCabbage Mon 19-Nov-12 21:16:19

We just changed our mind about getting a tablet for our 9 year old but did a lot of research in the meantime. I can't help you much with prices though as we are not in the UK.

The nexus 7, kindle fire and ipad are the cream of the crop we thought but expensive.

We liked the sound of the kurio It has good reviews and seems to well supported.

We discounted the so called 'supermarket tablets'. They are cheap but crap too.

In the end we got dd a DS.

tribpot Mon 19-Nov-12 21:19:03

Recent threads have suggested you could end up with a bit of a lemon if you buy at this price. I wonder if second hand might be a better bet?

Myliferocks Mon 19-Nov-12 21:20:46

He already has a DS and doesn't play with it much whereas he's on my touch and iPad quite a bit.
I know a cheaper tablet isn't going to be the same as my iPad but as he's only 8 I don't want to (and can't) spend too much on one.

SavoyCabbage Mon 19-Nov-12 22:11:20

Could you sell the ds then?

tribpot Mon 19-Nov-12 22:16:27

I think there were concerns that the very cheapy import tablets might be locked to China and thus actually useless, rather than just crappy!

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 19-Nov-12 22:30:29

Don't buy any tablet for £80. They are a false economy. Often they are not licensed Android devices so don't have access to the Google Play app store and are made from poor quality materials. You will find that they do not perform well, touch screen will be unresponsive, etc. Minimum spend should be around £159 for a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD.

FarrowAndBollock Tue 20-Nov-12 16:01:58

You may fins the Nexus second hand now the 10 inch and 32 GB have been released v recently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now