Talk

Advanced search

What network do Giffgaff sim cards work on?

(21 Posts)
stopthenoise Sun 18-Nov-12 09:22:32

Does it have to be an unlocked phone? TIA

It's O2. I don't know if it would work if the phone was locked to O2, but it would need to be unlocked from any other network.

stopthenoise Sun 18-Nov-12 09:33:03

Thanks!

Theas18 Sun 18-Nov-12 11:29:35

O2 and O2 locked phones work ( tesco ones may do some times). I can really recommend them ( despite the current increase in my 250 mins/ unlimited texts /unlimited Internet goody bag to £12 from £10 ). Great value and does what it says on the tin.

fuzzpig Sun 18-Nov-12 11:35:36

Not sure about the unlocked thing but giffgaff is great. I only spend £5 a month on a recurring goodybag (it's called the Hokey Cokey grin you get additional free minutes for every minute of received calls)

IDontDoIroning Sun 18-Nov-12 11:39:01

O2 locked or any unlocked phone.
One of my ds has my old iPhone on O2 and my other an unlocked galaxy.
I've got the £10 goody bag on a recurring purchase and its great. The only thing is that you can't ring the 0871 type numbers on it but that's not a problem for them and it obvioulsy stops them ever running up big bills from going over their calls or 3G unlike a contract.

Giff gaff to giff gaff calls are free too.

I keep a few ££s of PAYG (which auto-tops up) as well as a recurring goodybag on my GiffGaff phone purely for 08 numbeers and anything else not covered by the goodybag, it really is very inexpensive and easy to run. I also like the fact that they send you a little statement every month.

lljkk Sun 18-Nov-12 15:38:19

GiffGaff SIM does not work on my Tesco-locked phone.

Silly query... does a person have to buy GoodyBags with Giffgaff, or can you use it in a true PAYG fashion? I only need to use about £2.30/credit per month. Currently with Virgin & small bill paid by DD, but reception is lousy.

1sassylassy Sun 18-Nov-12 15:44:18

You can use Giffgaff in true PAYG ,top up £10 and use it as normal till it runs out ,this is what I do as apart from ds2 all my family are on Giffgaff so my calls and texts are free to them.

stopthenoise Sun 18-Nov-12 15:46:04

Have just ordered my SIM! I think the £12 one is really good value so can't wait to use it. And lljkk, i was wondering the same thing.

IDontDoIroning Sun 18-Nov-12 15:48:42

You can put a top up on it too to cover additional calls. You can do this on an auto top up too so it just tops up by a set amount when it runs out.

fuzzpig Sun 18-Nov-12 15:58:18

Yes there's no need to put goodybags on. I didn't for a while and just used my credit, until they started the Hokey Cokey one.

It used to be a bit annoying having to remember to buy the goodybag each month so I was really pleased when they started doing automatically recurring ones, so if like me you always use the same one, it just does it automatically. So in that sense mine is now like a £5/mth contract, but without any obligation to stay for 18 months etc.

fuzzpig Sun 18-Nov-12 15:59:15

I have the auto top up thing too, it's useful for the odd call that isn't on free minutes - mine puts a tenner on if it goes below £3

stopthenoise Sun 18-Nov-12 16:10:57

So if I had the £12 goody bag, the £12 would be used for that? I wouldn't have £12 credit aswell? Am a bit confused now.

fuzzpig Sun 18-Nov-12 16:15:03

No, the goodybag money is never credit. So if you wanted a £12 bag, but also to put £10 credit on it, it would cost £22. But the £10 may last ages - I think mine only tops up every 3 or 4 months now, because with the goodybag I hardly need regular credit (I rarely run out of minutes or texts)

However you can buy goodybags FROM credit. So say you put £20 credit on when your sim arrives, but then decide to buy a £12 goodybag out of it, you would then have your bag plus £8 credit left.

1sassylassy Sun 18-Nov-12 16:23:00

The £12 goodybag will give you 250 mins,unlimited texts and unlimited internet,

stopthenoise Sun 18-Nov-12 16:28:49

Ah I see. I was thinking if I needed to ring 08 numbers I'd need extra credit for that wouldn't i cos the 250 mins wouldn't cover it.

1sassylassy Sun 18-Nov-12 16:35:18

0800 numbers are include in your goody bag,Mms messages (16p) and calls to 0844, 0845, 0870 and international numbers are all excluded from goodybags. However you can always use www.saynoto0870.com/ for an alternative number.

stopthenoise Sun 18-Nov-12 16:39:58

ok thanks. I didn't know about MMS either, I send loads so that's good to know.

1sassylassy Sun 18-Nov-12 16:51:34

We recently spent an hour trying to download an MMS message that had been sent to dh, even reset the phone until I had a light bulb moment and realised it was because he had a goodybag and they were not included.
Our monthly mobile is less for four of us than it was just for dh when he had his contract and because giffgaff to giffgaff calls are free we save on the landline as well.

I didn't realise MMS was excluded, I just thought they didn't work on my phone (I hardly ever use them). It must have been when I was on a goody bag only, I have used both goodybag and PAYG separately at different times (PAYG used to include unlimited internet).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now