Talk

Advanced search

Nexus 7 unlocked - is there a monthly charge?

(8 Posts)
moonstorm Sat 17-Nov-12 22:05:20

Out of stock at the moment, but I can geta Wifi Nexus 7 for £199, of and Wifi plus unlocked wotsi for £239. The latter appeals for the sake of being able to access the Internet everywhere...

However, is ther ean extra monthly charge for this (like a mobile phone?) orr is it free once bought?

Thanks

moonstorm Sat 17-Nov-12 23:31:21

bump smile

1sassylassy Sun 18-Nov-12 06:41:32

without seeing the deal I would have thought that you would incurr data charges,so unless you buy one that gives you 500 mb per month for example then yes you will have an extra monthly charge.However depending on what phone you have and your contract ,it may be possible to tether through your phone.

moonstorm Sun 18-Nov-12 10:18:36

It's this

chocolatespiders Sun 18-Nov-12 10:35:44

Hasnt it got to have 3g to incur date charges?

moonstorm Sun 18-Nov-12 17:42:26

I don't have a clue! I'm new to all this tablet stuff. But it does imply that you can access the Internet anywhere (or does it??)

1sassylassy Sun 18-Nov-12 17:54:49

I dont know but seeing its unlocked I would presume that would mean your could put a sim card of the network you prefer in it,its only £40 more than the wifi only model so I suspect you wouldnt actually get data with it.
However seeing its unlocked you could put Giffgaff sim card in it and enjoy the internet at a low price.If you dont know Giffgaff are part of o2,no call centres ,internet only so lower prices.

LordEmsworth Sun 18-Nov-12 18:06:38

Wot sassylassy said.

The £239 model has wifi and 3G access - so when you're somewhere you can't access wifi, you can use the mobile network (3G) to access the internet.

You can use your mobile phone SIM card to do this but it would probably be cheaper to get a good SIM-only deal with lots of data included.

But... in my personal experience 3G is pretty slow for internet access (which is why EE are singing & dancing about their 4G access, which is meant to be much faster when it's eventually rolled out across the UK).

That said, the 3G model has 32GB of memory and the wifi only version only has 16GB - so if you plan to download a lot of music, films etc you might want to go for that one.

FWIW, I chose the £199, wifi only version (just yesterday) because I am only likely to use it either in places where I can access wifi, or on the train where (again, my experience) 3G doesn't sodding work...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now