Talk

Advanced search

Galaxy note 2

(6 Posts)
Donki Fri 16-Nov-12 19:57:35

OK - I have fallen in love with this device, and am going to get one as my first ever smart phone!. [swoon]
The question is, do I get a Galaxy note 2 PAYGO from 3 mobile, (works out quite a bit cheaper than their other options, but still gives me unlimited data - although no tethering. But I don't think that will be a problem.

Or do I get the more expensive option from T-mobile, a 24 month plan, £129 up front + £36 per month, generous talk (more than I will use), unlimited texts (not that I text much), unlimited data on 3G - but it's the LTE so if after 2 years, the cost of 4G has dropped to a reasonable price, then I could move to 4G. This isn't an option if I get the PAYGO from 3 mobile.

I can afford the extra cost at the moment, but consider my job to be at severe risk in 20 months time.... I will have the money saved up (already have it) to cover the extra 4 months, but can is the extra expense worth it to have the option of 4G in 2 years time?

I have no experience of smart phones, so please help me!

Or am I just being ridiculously extravagant anyway?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 16-Nov-12 20:12:34

Got mine on Tmob for £150 and £26 per month through carphone warehouse. That was the best overall contact cost I could get with 1.5GB data which is plenty.

Donki Fri 16-Nov-12 20:45:50

But do I go for the limited to 3G version, or the 3G for 2 years but usable on 4G version thereafter option?

Arrrgh! I hate making decisions. Especially on not enough data.
How do I know what 4G will be doing in 2 years?

wohmum Fri 16-Nov-12 20:59:02

Unless you are likely to be watching movies or downloading lots of media heavy stuff I don't think 4g will make that much difference.

I bet you'll get a new phone in 2 years anyway.

niceguy2 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:10:07

Hi Donki. Given your situation I would recommend that you get the Note 2 from Amazon for £448 link here

Then get a Giffgaff SIM on a recurring £10 goodybag which will give you 250 mins, unlimited text and 1GB of data which should be more than enough.

This will give you a total cost over 2 years of £448+£240 = £688 versus £993 for the T-mobile deal you found and £774 for the one Pedro posted.

This will mean you are not tied to a contract at all and your phone is completely unlocked meaning you can sell it on whenever you want and get a few quid more for it. Very useful given you may want options in 20 months time and with Giffgaff, you can change from £10 per month to PAYGO anytime you please and back again if you so desire. Giffgaff in case you haven't heard use the O2 network and are also part owned by O2. I have everyone in my family on them.

The 3 PAYGO deal is a little bit more expensive, gives you less minutes/texts etc. You may also want to check if their phone is locked to their network or not. The main thing I've found though is that 3 coverage can be quite patchy. It is/was awful in my area but others don't have a problem. Fine if you live in a big city. Not so great if you don't.

Hope that helps

Donki Sat 17-Nov-12 22:43:45

Thankyou!
For anyone else reading this, the price on Niceguy's link is now £509. The Note 2 is £450 from mobicity. £600 for the LTE version (and in the end I have gone for the 3G version)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now