Talk

Advanced search

Help with computer restore - quickly please!

(10 Posts)
oopslateagain Fri 16-Nov-12 16:18:47

DH's llaptop hard drive crashed and he had a new one installed, the computer-techy-man managed to recover most of his data but a lot of the pre-installed programs were toast.

DH contacted Toshiba for the recovery discs to set it back up properly, they have arrived today (2 discs) with no instructions. He has just done a backup of the data, then put "product recovery disc 1" in. Nothin happened. Opened the disc folder and there is no application in the main folder, just a bunch of other folders.

Ideas please?

It's a Toshiba Satellite L670-1hz, if that makes sense to anyone...

Imnotaslimjim Fri 16-Nov-12 17:48:57

What type of files are ithe folders? Can you not copy the lot onto the laptop and see what happens? Thats what I'd do anyway

If it can wait a bit, I can ask DH, he's a tech but currently at work

oopslateagain Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:26

Copy them where? Into a folder in My documents? confused I don't think they'd actually 'do' anything IYKWIM, without them being opened or actioned or whatever.

(I'm not thick, I promise - just a lot bit confused by computer stuff)

singleWhiteMale Fri 16-Nov-12 18:08:29

You probably have to boot from the CD.
Put it in the drive and switch off. Switch on and hold down the 'C' key (I think) to make it start up from the CD. You should get a menu.

Be aware that recovering from the CD will remove everything from your hard drive so make sure you have backups.

lazydog Fri 16-Nov-12 18:10:08

If you're sure that everything he cannot possibly afford to lose has been backed up, he needs to boot from the first recovery disk. Reboot the laptop with disk one in the optical drive and as the laptop starts up, before Windows starts to load (i.e. when the initial POST (power on self test) screen is up) keep tapping F12. That should (generally!) then bring up the boot device options menu. He needs to select the cd/dvd drive.

oopslateagain Fri 16-Nov-12 18:27:55

Oh, thank you! That makes sense. Trying it now...

oopslateagain Fri 16-Nov-12 18:31:25

He just got a warning that if he continues, the hard disc will be completely erased.

He hit "OK".

<wibbles>

I guess that means it's actually working! grin Why on earth don't they send these discs with the most basic instructions?

lazydog Fri 16-Nov-12 18:34:53

Because it's so bloody obvious? I really don't know. You'd think they would, wouldn't you? grin

oopslateagain Fri 16-Nov-12 18:40:28

How is it bloody obvious you have to put the disc in, turn the computer off, turn it back on, hit F12, select CD, do the hokey-cokey, turn around, whistle 3 times and throw a Pombear at your MIL? wink

Non-tech-y, that's me. Tell me to put Tab A into Tab B and I'm happy. grin

oopslateagain Fri 16-Nov-12 18:47:37

grin
blush

DH just got as far as Disc 2.

The instructions are on the sleeve.

Observant, that's my DH. <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now