Talk

Advanced search

Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy 2 - 7 inch?

(5 Posts)
2MumsAreBetterThan1 Thu 15-Nov-12 18:16:56

I am really torn between these two tablets as as I am a complete technical novice I need help.

I have found the Nexus 7 - 16GB for £160 and the Samsung Galaxy 2 - 8GB for £150 so prive very similar.

I was originally going for the Nexus as it's 16GB as opposed to 8GB but Samsung are giving a free 8GB SD card so that equals the storage out.

Are they basically the same, any have an advantage over the other or is it simply personal preference?

Which one would you go for?

niceguy2 Thu 15-Nov-12 19:27:42

I would say go for the Nexus 7 for the following reasons:

- Nexus has an IPS screen. Samsung does not. IPS screens are better.
- Nexus comes with Jellybean out of the box. Samsung has ICS. Day to day there's not much in it but JB feels slightly faster and is the latest version.
- Nexus is essentially a Google product and will be much better supported on the Internet than the Samsung.

Looks wise though I think the Samsung has it and it also includes a back camera. That said...who takes a photo with a tablet? I've yet to want to take one with my ipad.

2MumsAreBetterThan1 Thu 15-Nov-12 20:15:28

That's great, thanks for the advice.

It will be for a 10 year old so she may well take photo's but proberly off herself knowing her so the camera on the Nexus should be ok.

Is Nexus better in terms of specs then?

Will 16GB be enough? Just noticed there is no SD card slot whereas the Samsung can have an SD card to put it up to 32GB.

niceguy2 Thu 15-Nov-12 23:42:15

It should be more than enough. Most android apps are tiny. Even the larger ones are usually only a few megabytes (ie. 1MB = 0.001GB). Where you will use a lot of space will be music. Even then you can store an insane amount of music. Your average MP3 file is only 4-5MB. Oh and movies. They use a lot up. That said, I have 16GB on my ipad and have survived a 10 hour flight with one loaded with movies.

Look at it this way. The IPS screen is better quality. That's the thing you/your DD will be looking at. Being a Google device it will be better supported so in a couple of years time you stand less chance of being left behind.

Having more storage just means filling it up with more crap.

chocolatespiders Sat 17-Nov-12 22:10:54

you get £30 cash back with the Galaxy smile

I was going for the Nexus but the price of the Galaxy swayed it for me, Mine is 4 dd SO spec wasnt high on agenda just games

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now