Talk

Advanced search

any tablet smarties out there? Help me find one for DH for xmas, please.

(8 Posts)
unexpectediteminbaggingarea Mon 05-Nov-12 19:55:51

So, I want to buy DH a tablet for xmas. It needs:

a USB port
to be good for watching films on
to have a really good battery life or in car charger
to be good for downloading educational apps for the kids when it's at home
to not be mega expensive
to be 10 inch

I know ipad is out because afaik it doesn't have a usb port, and is too pricey for me anyway. I was thinking about the google nexus but are they bringing out a 10 inch version? I think the 7 inch just seems a bit small.

I'm asking for too much, aren't I?

tia.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 05-Nov-12 20:19:45

Don't know what your budget is, but I would highly recommend the Asus Transformer Pad TF300. It has a detachable keyboard (which I'm typing on right now) which contains an additional battery, so the battery life is effectively double what you'll get elsewhere. It has a full size USB port, SD card slot, etc, etc. 10 inch screen, runs Android, so all the benefits of that.

Recently went on holiday and it kept DS(19m) entertained for a good 6 hours in the car (Peppa Pig all the way!) with plenty of charge left over and that was without the keyboard attached.

Whole package is around 400 quid.

TariffHound Mon 05-Nov-12 22:52:19

I've got some ideas that might help, but just to check I'm providing suitable suggestions, could you explain a little why you need the USB port?

whatagreatname Mon 05-Nov-12 22:56:22

I was going to recommend the Asus Eee Pad Transformer as well.

I bought one this time last year after much deliberation but I went for that over an ipad as I wanted to have something with a decent keyboard, ports and to use more for work.

It detaches from the keyboard so you can use it just like a tablet, it's got a great battery life and everything that Pedro lists above grin

MrsShrek3 Mon 05-Nov-12 22:57:05

Do you have wifi or is the USB port fr a dongle? If so, there are limits (sorry)
Am researching the same, y'see

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Tue 06-Nov-12 18:58:54

we have wireless, thanks for the advice everyone.

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Tue 06-Nov-12 19:02:16

sorry tarrif, the usb is for transferring files from pc and smartphones.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 06-Nov-12 22:58:52

Transferring data is done using the proprietary connector anyway. But the USB slot can be used for portable USB drives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now