Talk

Advanced search

ipad2 or ipad4

(11 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Fri 02-Nov-12 14:51:10

I've got an ipad2, got it when it first came out. I love it, its fab but dd keeps pinching it all the time so I was thinking of getting another ipad and letting her have my old one.

I was put off the ipad3 after reading that the battery life isn't as good plus there's the issue of them gettign quite hot. Apparantly the new ipad4 is the same as the ipad3 in this respect.

Ipad mini is no good as its too small for me.

So I'm drawn towards getting another ipad2. I've seen the ipad3 in the shops and I know people rave about the retina display, etc but I couldn't see the difference. Maybe its more apparant when watching films but I think I've only watched about 5 films on it in the time I've had it. I watch iplayer, etc on it and it seems fine. Get the occasional stutter/pixels but its soon gone and I can live with that.

My main concern is that future apps/software updates won't be supported for the ipad2. I believe the ipad1 can't get current software updates.

Can anyone with an ipad3 tell me how much of an issue the heat and lesser battery life is? Thanks.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 02-Nov-12 18:07:56

bump

niceguy2 Fri 02-Nov-12 19:04:23

In your shoes I'd be drawn towards the ipad 4.

From what I've read the biggest drawback of the ipad 3 was how long it took to recharge the battery and for me the retina display was in virtually indistinguishable from the ipad2 unless you had them side by side and was anally retentive about looking at photos.

However, the ipad4 has a faster charger and also getting an ipad 2 will mean you are two generations behind which means it will go obsolete sooner.

That said, what do I know....i still have my ipad 1 and perfectly happy with it.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 02-Nov-12 20:28:21

I couldnt tell the differrnce in the display but some people rave about it. maybe emperors new clothes
?

Apple are selling refurbished ipad2 for £250 which is tempting.

RustyBear Fri 02-Nov-12 20:52:47

I have an iPad 3 and love the retina display - I can certainly see a difference between mine and DS's iPad2. My iPad used to get quite hot sometimes, but it doesn't any more - not sure whether that's because the battery settled down after several charges, or whether the 5.1.1 update made a difference.

One thing to consider about the new fourth generation iPad is that it has the new connector - so you'd have to think about whether it would fit any docks/speakers you have with the adapter fitted.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 02-Nov-12 20:56:39

No docks or speakers. Think I'm leaning towards the ipad4. Thanks.

niceguy2 Sat 03-Nov-12 19:28:20

I'm a semi-pro photographer so the idea of the retina display was very appealing. Until I saw it. At first glance I didn't even realise it was a 3. It was only when i put the same photo side by side with a 2 then started zooming in/out that I could tell. And I'm anally retentive when it comes to screen quality.

The new connector is a huge PITA but unfortunately if you want Apple then it is a necessary evil. Over the next two years you will see a lot of gadgets which will switch over to the new connector and in my opinion is another reason to wait for the 4. Otherwise in two years time you'll be left with a tablet with the old connector and everything will be for the new.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 03-Nov-12 20:30:18

Well I bought an ipad4 this morning. Have to say I can't tell any difference in the screen display at all. Watched some catch up tv this afternoon and no difference that's apparent to me.

I'd say its a little bit faster when on the Internet.

I've been using it since 1pm, not the whole time as we've been to a firework display and its down to 53% on the battery. So I don't think the battery's as good as the ipad2. But I suppose I did watch an hour of tv.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sun 04-Nov-12 15:49:24

Wow, I didn't realise the iPad battery was so poor. My Asus Transformer Pad recently covered a 6 hour drive playing videos the whole time and still had well over half its battery left (and that was without the secondary battery in the keyboard being used at all)

AnonymousBird Thu 08-Nov-12 09:33:39

DH just came home from the US with an iPad2 (much cheaper over there!) and it is fantastic, it's not my main camera, and haven't really tested it yet for quality in that regard but for the price he paid I'm delighted!!

brianhaddock Thu 08-Nov-12 11:28:38

i have a similarish quandary and looking for advice. i lost my ipad2 in august and claimed on my home contents insurance. the tone of the conversation with ins co. led me to believe the claim wouldn't be paid (claim 100% genuine btw but circumstances of loss were unusual), and after a few weeks of hearing nothing we decided to buy a replacement ourselves. we bought an ipad2 for £340 from tesco on ebay.

fast forward to this week and the ins co. have agreed to pay out. they are replacing the ipad, but as the ipad2 is discontinued they are sending me an ipad4, same spec. we really don't need 2, but which one do i sell?

i am perfectly happy with the ipad2 and obv if i sold it i wouldn't get as much as if i sold the ipad4, but would it be daft to keep the older model given how quickly technology moves on and gadgets become obsolete?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now