Talk

Advanced search

Can I wiped IPhone be re-used?

(5 Posts)
pinkpaperpiggy Thu 01-Nov-12 10:56:31

DH recently upgraded his phone. He thought he would have to trade in his phone so he wiped everything from it. It turns out he owns it outright so I could use it.

Because he wiped it I can't find how to unlock it so it will take my SIM. Does anyone know what to do with it or will I have to take it to a phone shop?

Thanks.

niceguy2 Thu 01-Nov-12 15:05:26

The iphone is basically locked to your DH's network.

Since it's out of contract period now, what he should do is call them up and ask them to request a SIM unlock from Apple.

Unlike most other phones, only Apple can properly unlock an iphone.

This usually takes a few days to process and once Apple have done it, you will see it the next time you plug the phone into iTunes. It will tell you it's unlocked.

Hope that helps

pinkpaperpiggy Thu 01-Nov-12 15:10:37

That does help, thanks.

I thought it would need an unlock code but because the thing is completely wiped I didn't know how to enter it.

Also wasn't aware Apple have to unlock it.

Thanks

nancerama Sun 04-Nov-12 12:17:08

If you've got an Apple store near you, take it in. The lovely people in there will help get you all set up with it.

daisydoodoo Sun 04-Nov-12 12:24:34

Yes exactly as niceguy says. I did this recently as got the iPhone 5 from work, ds1 now uses my old Vodafone 4s with a giff gaff SIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now