Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a Tablet - and if so, which one?

(10 Posts)
NotaDisneyMum Wed 31-Oct-12 22:29:44

I need a Wifi enabled device to edit basic Word and Excel files (via Dropbox) and for some basic browsing (ebay, MN, and some shopping/recipes really - no gaming or anything).

It needs to be small enough to tuck away quickly (I'll be using it while working behind a shop counter), have some battery life, but I will be able to recharge and run on mains sometimes, too.

I thought I'd be able to manage with my iPhone 4, but it's just not up to it, so I'm looking for something, preferable reconditioned or even secondhand if the price isn't extortionate.

Any suggestions?

NetworkGuy Thu 01-Nov-12 13:07:01

Think you'll need to specify what version of MS Office / Word / Excel you are after. I had been about to suggest an Android v4 tablet but then wondered about the compatibility issues.

I really don't use MS Office very much and while I have some 'office' type App for the Android, I've not had need to test it yet, and don't have an up-to-date Windows machine with MS Office installed (I do have an iMac with an old version on, however).

NotaDisneyMum Thu 01-Nov-12 13:42:59

NG Many thanks - I've been using an iPhone app to edit the MS docs up to now, it does the job fine as I'm only looking to change text etc.

I'm assuming there are Android-versions of most of the mainstream Apps?

NetworkGuy Fri 02-Nov-12 12:58:01

BUMP

Anyone using a tablet to edit Word or Excel docs ?

What Apps are you using ?

NotaDisneyMum Fri 02-Nov-12 14:15:23

I've been doing my research and have realised that not all Android netbooks can the use Google Play App Store, and do I have to have 3G contract or can I just use Wifi?

I'm using Smart office 2 on my iPhone 4 to edit MS files ATM.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sat 03-Nov-12 20:33:32

Microsoft Surface £399. Guaranteed compatibility with Office.

NotaDisneyMum Sun 04-Nov-12 22:13:05

Mmm, not sure my budget will stretch to that!

The functionality of the Office Third party apps I've used on iPhone have been perfectly adequate for what I'm looking for as I'll still do the bulk of the word processing etc on my laptop - changing the date and a couple of lines in an agenda or an invoice entry in a spreadsheet is probably about the extent of it! The problem is screen size - I've got fat fingers!

I assume that Android comes with an email app that works with Googlemail? If not - what's app is best to use?

NetworkGuy Mon 05-Nov-12 00:50:37

I think it's a minority that cannot access the Google apps store. No problems getting it working on my Archos even though it wasn't present 'out of the box'.

You'd only need a 3G contract if you have no wireless router where you want to work on the data. If you have a mobile phone and a connection that allows 'tethering' - where you make the phone act as a portable wireless router and your tablet can then get a connection via your phone, then you only need wi-fi on your tablet (and a spare battery for your phone!)

Yes, there's a mail app, but the GMail app is probably better smile

JackThePumpkinKing Mon 05-Nov-12 00:52:41

I'd just go with a netbook tbh.

SminkoPinko Mon 05-Nov-12 01:08:05

If the word/excel editing is a minor concern but you want an ace internet surfer, get a google nexus 7. They are very nice to surf on and fit your bill being small and cheap(ish). I think editing work on a tablet won't be that different to doing so on a mobile though apart from the better size. You really need keyboards, trackpad/mouse to work fast and effectively on documents,imo. Agree with previous poster that a cheap netbook might be better if the work part is a crucial reason for the purchase and you want to do a lot more than scan for typos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now