Talk

Advanced search

Computer mouse help please

(10 Posts)
Parisbanana Tue 30-Oct-12 10:22:36

My dad has asked for a remote wireless cordless computer mouse for Christmas.
I use an integral mouse and really don't know where to start looking.
Any pointers please smile

APMF Tue 30-Oct-12 16:56:08

Just wonder into PC World this weekend and buy one at a price you are comfortable with. Unless you want one for gaming they are a pretty much a standard product with only esthetics to separate them.

Parisbanana Tue 30-Oct-12 19:09:47

Oh that's simple then! Thank you

NetworkGuy Wed 31-Oct-12 11:28:52

Or Asda or Tesco perhaps. Worth checking what version of Windows your dad is using (wherever you go), just to be sure it is compatible. I managed to find a 'bargain' in a computer store one day - turns out it uses Infra Red (so needs to be line of sight, like many TV remote controls) and a 3.5" floppy disk with it... fortunately I have some older machines which still have floppy drives but not every machine does!

TariffHound Wed 31-Oct-12 17:48:49

Here's a recommendation for you - the Logitech Anywhere MX for about £40 on Amazon. It's a comfortable mouse, and works on any surface, including glass tables. All the punters on Amazon love it. I use it as my main mouse, and also recommend it.
www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Anywhere-Mouse-Tracks-Glass/dp/B002MUKKY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351705558&sr=8-1

Parisbanana Wed 31-Oct-12 19:10:28

Thank you again for that help. Will find out about his Windows etc. no wonder my mum asked me to get it (she has no idea at all about anything vaguely techy!)

APMF Wed 31-Oct-12 23:06:39

@networkguy - you found a 'bargain' mouse that uses infra red and 3.5 floppy? I can offer you good deal on an abacus if you are interested :-)

APMF Wed 31-Oct-12 23:14:49

@Paris. I wouldn't worry too much about the Windows thing. Gadgets are invariably backwards comparable back to Windows 2000 so unless your pc is over 12 years old it's not going to be an issue.

EcoLady Thu 01-Nov-12 13:09:53

I've got this one. It's fab and foolproof.
www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-M235-Wireless-Mouse-Black/dp/B004IO5BMQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1351775348&sr=1-3

NetworkGuy Thu 01-Nov-12 13:40:20

@APMF - box was in French and it wasn't obvious that while being 'wireless' it meant 'no cable' rather than using radio to send data !

Reason I mentioned 'which version of Windows' is because I was recently working on someone's Windows 8 system for which their printer has no driver (so is unusable) and their video card also has no Windows 8 driver (so a miracle it works at present). The guy explained that a colleague (now likely to get fired) came down to Newport from London and instead of installing Sage accounts, 'upgraded' his PC from XP to WIndows 8, wiping everything else out. Chap speaking to me had been working in Barcelona for a week and it was done in his absence.

There is the possibility one could buy a mouse with Win 2000, XP and Vista drivers but none for Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now