Talk

Advanced search

Tablet for an 8 yr old!

(21 Posts)
Myliferocks Mon 29-Oct-12 20:58:28

I have an iPad and an iPod touch which my 8 yr old loves.
We were thinking about getting him a tablet for Christmas as we can't afford a touch until his birthday later in the year.

Could anybody recommend a tablet for around £80?

Also could anybody explain where we would be able to download apps, music and ebooks from to put on a tablet that isn't an Apple product?

Thank you in advance for any help given!

MrsCantSayAnything Mon 29-Oct-12 22:18:35

My DD is 8 and I have been advised to look at the Kindle Fire. It's about 120 though. I am interested to see if there's anything cheaper too!

Greymalken Wed 31-Oct-12 01:02:21

A Tablet around £80 will probably be Android 2.2 or there about you won't get much of a hard drive for that amount. Here are a few examples http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANDROID-TABLET-NETBOOK-TOUCH-SCREEN/dp/B004FQO100/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 31-Oct-12 11:24:27

Thanks Grey....I know this isn't my thread but I'm wtching with interest!

MaureenLove Wed 31-Oct-12 11:25:06

depends if oyu have apps already for an ipad

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 31-Oct-12 11:34:59

No...I have nothing at all.

QuenHelle Wed 31-Oct-12 12:02:23

Someone on another thread recommended the Neuropads. I have just ordered this one for DS.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 31-Oct-12 12:26:46

That looks good Queen can you tell me....I am a total dimwit with technical stuff...where do you go to buy and download free games for something like that?

DinosaursOnASpaceship Wed 31-Oct-12 12:30:47

I bought a tablet from amazon (think it was called all winner or something) it was £49 for my 8 year old. It's an android tablet and has the android market place thing on it. I've downloaded angry birds, sega games, Iplayer and some films and books for him (all free) and they all work fine. The Internet and YouTube work fine, I've had a play with it and quite like it. The charger is quite flimsy though.

I know sod all about tablets so it could be completely crap but ds will like it and it does what I want it too.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 31-Oct-12 12:32:08

For fifty quid it sounds alright to me!

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 31-Oct-12 12:34:29

this one DinosaursOnASpaceship?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 31-Oct-12 12:35:49

Would he use both? Id wait and get a touch for his birthday or get a tablet for christmas and scrap the touch plan.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 31-Oct-12 12:40:52

I agree with Gold...the android tablets look quite good for fifty to 80 pounds and I am definitely considering the one that Dino suggests.

Fluffypoms Wed 31-Oct-12 12:41:50

My dd has a Blackberry Playbook
Not sure if that's what your after.

They are 130 though but it is 64g

DinosaursOnASpaceship Wed 31-Oct-12 12:58:04

It was pretty much the same as that but in black and a couple of quid cheaper. It's a little flimsy looking but the cover that you can buy soon sorted that out. It does everything I need it too - the citv site works fine which was an important factor! And he can put his photos and music on it. It has a camera too but isn't amazing quality.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 31-Oct-12 13:03:45

Is the cover available on Amazon too Dino?

FLuffy I think OP wants something cheap though.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Wed 31-Oct-12 13:12:16

It was this one

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008E4WGKQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=SL75&qid=1351688942&sr=8-1

With this cover
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004KSWEKM/ref=aw_cr_d_computers?qid=1351688942&sr=8-1

It looks cheapest but seems to do the job just fine, especially as my ds is only 8. I might get him a more pricey one next year if he's looked after this one properly.

QuenHelle Wed 31-Oct-12 13:38:16

Hi Mrs. Ours arrives on Monday. Before then I don't think I know any more than you do. I'm new to tablets and Android and whatnot. I believe you get apps, games etc from Google Play, which used to be called Android Marketplace, I think.

I chose it because it has lots of good reviews and so does the supplier. And it has HDMI output which means you can plug it into your telly.

I hope it's ok. We've ordered a second one for MIL instead of a Kindle.

Greymalken Wed 31-Oct-12 17:03:09

The Cloudnine Neuropads stats look decent for the cost. I'd be tempted even though I have the Galaxy Tab 10.1

QuenHelle Wed 31-Oct-12 17:20:53

Greymalken That's good to know. Thanks. I would have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 if I could afford one.

Greymalken Wed 31-Oct-12 17:29:58

The Tab can be a bit quirky but I used it to write documents and course notes whilst studying. Google store is also great. There are some very good kids games on Android and I like the family controls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now