Talk

Advanced search

Can you use Free web design software which is NOT from your hosting company?

(3 Posts)
stickygotstuck Fri 26-Oct-12 10:24:06

Just that, really.

I bought my domain name from company A.

I have just bought hosting from company B.

Can I download some free software (such as WebPlus basic version) and then upload the files to my host via ftp? I have downloaded it, and have started messing around with it, but the file format is their own (has a wpp extension) so I'm guessing you can't use it elsewhere.

Is there any free software out there that you can use with any host?

I know some hosting companies give you free software, but mine doesn't, and I would have to pay extra which I'm not keen on at the moment.

I need to create a site for information only, very simple, 3 or 4 pages.

Thanks! smile

MrAnchovy Sat 27-Oct-12 01:21:36

(Serif) WebPlus is pretty good for free software, and yes you can upload the sites it generates anywhere. You don't upload the .wpp file though, you 'publish' it from inside WebPlus; you will need the FTP details for your hosting account.

stickygotstuck Sun 28-Oct-12 14:14:50

Thank you MrAnchovy!! smile.

Sorry for the delay, I was despairing from anybody replying, so double thanks to you.

That's exactly what I need to know. I am a total novice at this and didn't want to spend ages trying to create something that looked half-decent, and find out later that I couldn't use it. I'll see how it goes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now