Talk

Advanced search

iMac (8 years old'ish) won't accept CDs/DVDs in disc drive any more

(4 Posts)
OlaRapaceFru Wed 24-Oct-12 17:42:28

Sorry if this has been done previously. My lovely <<stroke, stroke>> iMac has suddenly decided not to accept any CDs/DVDs in its built-in disc drive. When I put the disc in, it whirs and makes various (normal) noises, but the disc icon doesn't appear on the desktop - and then it finally spits the disc out. So, all fine - in that it's not getting jammed inside - but it obviously doesn't want the disc in there, which means I can't copy anything over. I suspect it may be a bit dusty so probably needs a clean.

Question is, is there a disc-drive cleaner that I can buy to insert into the disc drive? Or will I have to send it to iMacHospital?

Thanks.

OlaRapaceFru Wed 24-Oct-12 21:03:14

Bumping for the evening techy types!
(But, sorry, I'm going to bed now - feeling a bit under the weather)

Mibby Wed 24-Oct-12 21:06:06

"If all discs ( cd, dvd, games etc) all fail in the same way then it needs to go to hospital. Cleaning is unlikely to help" from DH who works for Apple

OlaRapaceFru Thu 25-Oct-12 08:29:41

Thanks, Mibby. I kind of thought that was going to be the case sad! But I thought it would be a good idea to ask before I shell out on repairs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now