Talk

Advanced search

what are the best tablets/gizmos for a 2 and 6 year old for long journeys

(11 Posts)
oranges Wed 24-Oct-12 11:51:07

We are going on a holiday that involves long haul flights and long drives (gulp) with ds6 and dd2. We normally make them read or stare out the window during trips but I'm realising that this time I may have to get them things to play with. They will need a device each to stop fighting - are leappads worth while, esp for the little one? The games seem insanely expensive. We don't have any kind of tablet so I'm wondering if its worth getting one that the 6 year old can play on and watch movies etc.

maxmillie Wed 24-Oct-12 18:20:44

imo the leappads are a bit of a waste of money as they outgrow them very quickly. I's say the 6y old would be better off with a nintendo DS or something simillar (IPADs alos popular with that age range and insanely generous parents). at the 2y old stage I just let them play games on my iphone - can download Peppa Pig, Thomas ones etc that go down well. At that age thought doesn't ;ast long, attention span of gnats as you know! Not worth buying a junior device for this age imo - use your phone/ipad/laptop,

A nintendo DS or Sony PSP would keep the 6y old occupied for long stretches ime

oranges Wed 24-Oct-12 18:52:17

THank you. I had thought of a ds but I wonder for that price whether its worth getting an android tablet instead.

didireallysaythat Wed 24-Oct-12 18:58:02

I have a nexus - my 6 year old loves it, and my 2 year old calls it "mummy's ipad" - some good apps for both of them... and i download books to it for the rare occasions i'm allowed to use it. Great thing.

trudat Wed 24-Oct-12 19:24:16

Mini aquadoodle thing (£5ish) kept my 2 yr old occupied for over an hour on a long car journey, if you want something less pricey grin

Though playing angry birds would do the same. He loves my phone!!

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Thu 25-Oct-12 16:58:11

Android tablet with Peppa Pig episodes playing on it (attached to headrest) did my ds (19mo) just fine on our holiday which was 6-8 hours travel each way.

TheWizardsWife Thu 25-Oct-12 17:04:14

We got an android tablet (about £80 on amazon) for the same reason. Can download many apps/games for free which keeps them entertained for hours. You can also download films apparently, though not worked out how yet. Is continually used in the house now we are back- plus you can get Iplayer on it so when I'm home with wireless connection I can pinch it and catch up on Eastenders!

We have had a Leappad too, but this has hardly been touched again, plus games are £15-20 each. Not our greatest buy!

oranges Thu 25-Oct-12 18:44:31

I'm veering towards an android tablet for the 6 year old that they can both watch movies from, and a v tech laptop thingy for the two year old - its about 20 pounds and all she will want to do is push buttons.
The only hesitation I have is charging. I don't think we will have electricity all the time (though we could charge in the car) and I wondered if something with batteries would be better.

Waswondering Thu 25-Oct-12 18:50:31

We went to Canada when ds was 3 (6y ago, so the olden days before tablets!). We bought here and took with us a twin screen dvd player (dd was only 6m so not interested - but we knew it would only be a matter of time.

we plugged it into the cigarette lighter thing in the hire car, and around Lake Louise turned on Peppa Pig. Ds was transfixed, we could talk and admire the scenery. It was a lifesaver!

If you can get tablets with a loooong charge battery (some are up to 10h) then I'd definitely go for that and preload with films etc especially if you've a long journey. Our screens had a loop to go over the head rest, then were fixed with velcro on top of that (actually, they still work, was a good buy!) - having them mounted is good as the child is looking straight ahead rather than down (you don't want them to throw up over it!!!)

We did 4000 km in 3 weeks with 2 small children ..... it was a great holiday! Hope you've a lovely time.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 26-Oct-12 08:35:12

Incidentally, DW created our headrest mount brilliantly using a foam netbook case, cut out a big hole in the front, stitch in a sheet of plastic (like a map holder) and sew on a clippy strap (a buckle like you get free for the bumbo). Saved us a whole load on buying a mount!

iliketea Fri 26-Oct-12 08:44:50

I have an android tablet. dd (nearly 3) loves the peppa pig game. Also, if you happen to have an ipod touch, you can get videos from itunes (a couple of episodes of mickey mouse.clubhouse kept my dd amused for a while on a flight recently). I guess the main problem is battery life - so you need to find a way of charging during travel or intersperse technology with stuff that doesn't need batteries!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now