Talk

Advanced search

Favourite apps for an iPad user (not games or movies)

(14 Posts)
babysaurus Mon 15-Oct-12 22:00:38

I am buying DH an iPad 2 for Christmas and wanted to get some apps to go on it too. I am buying Photoshop Touch as he is a designer (and I am using the excuse that he can use it for work as the reason for me getting it and him not freaking out over the expense) and I have also used the photobooth one, the one which produces a strip of pics like a photobooth which I plan to download.

I am pretty sure he won't use it for watching films or the like, and he is also highly unlikely to play games on it. However, he would love the film app (don't know the name, but it films with effects like 1920s / 1960's etc) and hopefully similar... Stuff he can get into and create things, easily, with.

Useful stuff such as maps of WiFi spots would also be handy - am guessing things like that are in 'app' form as well aren't they? (Sorry if being dumb, knew bugger all about iPads till last week so bear with me!)

Anyone able to inspire me...? (I am also looking on the website but some personal recommendations are always good too!)

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Oct-12 23:53:12

Try guardian eyewitness. Has a great phot every day.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Oct-12 23:53:27

Photo even.

babysaurus Mon 15-Oct-12 23:56:40

thanks! will add it to the list!

katiegolightly Tue 16-Oct-12 00:04:23

23snaps is fun for sharing family photos

MrAnchovy Tue 16-Oct-12 00:07:27

Evernote

Adobe Ideas (this is to Photoshop Touch as Illustrator is to Photoshop)

If he does serious web or user interface design he will probably want Omnigraffle but if he is less serious SketchyPad or iMockups will do

If he commutes, UK Train Times and/or Bus Guru

libbyssister Tue 16-Oct-12 00:18:11

Put on BBC iPlayer/ITV/C4 catch up apps. We use them all the time...

spamm Tue 16-Oct-12 02:02:12

Mars Globe and Moon Globe, so you can explore the Moon and Mars. And Pandora.

alibeenherealongtime Tue 16-Oct-12 11:29:37

Amazon, google earth, met office skype, trainline, app store, XE currency exchange, tubemap, the Times. BBC news, BBC iPlayer, Viber, twitter, world clock,skyscanner, QR reader, calculator, thermometer, If poems, ITV player, tube exits, 4onD, traffic eye, are just some on mine and DH's

PoohBearsHole Tue 16-Oct-12 11:32:14

Just seen for your dh so possibly not one he will like, but the good food magazine free app is really good smile

babysaurus Tue 16-Oct-12 20:05:57

These are fabulous, thank you all very much!

MrAnchovy he uses both Illustrator and Photoshop for work so your suggestions are spot on. I will have a look at Omnigiraffe too and see if that's worth adding.

Train times / booking was one I thought of last night as he does have to travel quite frequently.

PoohBearsHole I had a look at the Good Food one and thought he would like it (he is often nicking my laptop so he has recipies to hand downstairs, his PC is upstairs you see.)

Katie going to have a look at 23snaps now (not heard of that one.)

Thanks again! smile

I have Tunein which is an app that allows you to listen to any radio station in the world, wherever you are. You can also record programmes and relisten, search for a song and it will find the station playing it.

A digital alarm clock that allows me to wake up with a choice of my iTunes songs, and has a lot of cool screen savers.

HP print jet app, so that I can print wifi from my iPad to the home printer.

I have a lot of travel ones, for booking flights and hotels etc.

To be honest the fun part is going into App and browsing by yourself. So I wouldn't worry about adding too many. Dh added none for me when he got me mine for Christmas, I enjoyed searching for them myself.

PoohBearsHole Tue 16-Oct-12 20:24:41

If you have iTunes, download it now as when I recently did it the app was free but won't be for long! Got lots of lovely recipes,nviously you can access on safari any way! Also I covet (so good option for someone else to give him) the kitchen/recipe stand as my cover doesn't cut it grin

babysaurus Tue 16-Oct-12 20:26:22

Thanks Binfull. I guess you are right, it is nice to do the searching and adding yourself. Will put a few on though to make it a bit more personal (think he'd like the Tunein one).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now