Talk

Advanced search

How exactly do I connect to the internet when out and about (Samsung Galaxy Ace)

(9 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Mon 15-Oct-12 11:53:17

First time I've had an android phone and data included in my deal so its all new to me.

I've sussed out how to add home/work wifi networks so fine when there but how on earth do I access the internet when out and about.

If I try via the internet icon I just get a 'web page not available' no network connection message - I'm presuming I have to change something in the Wireless and Network bit but I'm a bit stumped as I don't understand the jargon of the options.

I wondered if it was Data Roaming but that gives me a warning about the possibility of incurring extra charges so I chickened out of trying that and thought I'd ask the Oracle that is MN smile

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 15-Oct-12 11:55:57

I have a different Samsung galaxy and there is a pull down menu from the top. I tap on "data". It might not cost you more, depending on your plan.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 15-Oct-12 11:58:50

On my pull down menu I have Wifi, B/T, GPS, Sound and Auto Rotation. They were the ones that were there when I got the phone. No 'Data' though

frazzled09 Mon 15-Oct-12 12:03:18

I have a Samsung smart phone ( not an Ace). I had to hold down the power key until a menu appeared (with phone switched on already) and then press on Data Network Mode to activate it. This then connects me, using my monthly data allowance. Activating wifi in the drop diwn menu overrides the data link for mine si I don't use up my allowance when I am at home.

frazzled09 Mon 15-Oct-12 12:04:14

Sorry.... down and so.... my typing is terrible on a phone.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 15-Oct-12 12:10:01

frazzled - I've found that menu but mine doesn't have Data Network Mode confused

frazzled09 Mon 15-Oct-12 12:22:48

I think data roaming will work. I remember feeling nervous about the message that popped up about "charges may apply" but it turned out to be my data allowance. You could try it then check your remaining allowance half a day later to see if it has started to decrease. Or ring your network and ask?

1sassylassy Mon 15-Oct-12 13:01:56

Make sure Use Packet Data and Data roaming are ticked,I have the same phone and have just checked.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 15-Oct-12 13:39:30

Lo and behold I think I may have got it working (the housework has been neglected, the ironing pile remains sky high and we'll have no dinner tonight but I think I have internet on my phone!)

I'd always had Packet Data on so that was OK. When I switched on Data Roaming that made bugger all difference so I googled and googled and then went on the talktalk website where I found some help pages. They gave you various numbers,codes etc you could input to do with internet and picture messaging and now its working!

Thanks for your help and hopefully I won't need to come back for more assistance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now