Talk

Advanced search

Why is my iPhone charging so s...l...o...w...l...y...?

(9 Posts)
zipzap Fri 12-Oct-12 13:37:29

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Usually if my phone is empty I just plug it in to charge and an hour or so later, if it's not full then it's nearly full and I don't have to think about it. It probably charges a bit quicker if it is plugged into the mains rather than done via USB through the computer.

Last night I plugged it in to charge and realised it had hardly charged at all but I was tired so didn't really think much of it, thought maybe I hadn't plugged it in properly.

This morning, it has been on charge for several hours, most of the morning. And it is still only up to 32% charged - having started at 17%.

I have wiggled plugs and connectors and they all see to be connected properly.

I have checked that I don't have any apps open (although I don't know if you can get virus apps that hide in the background that you don't know about?) so they can't be sucking all the power up as soon as it is charging.

So...

I'm now stuck for ideas -a) why this is happening and b) what to do to get it back to normal!

If anybody has any thoughts, I would be very grateful to find out!

TariffHound Fri 12-Oct-12 17:24:19

Hmmmm. What charger are you using? Is the the original one that came with your iPhone, or and older one you had in the house, say an old iPod charger?

Has your phone charged "normally" from this same charger previously?

My Ipad does this occasionally, so far it has always been a one-off. It did it last night, it was down to about 2% and I plugged it into the mains but it was still only about 50% this morning. I tried my iphone on the same charger without unplugging it and it charged that fully in two hours as normal. I'm hoping it will be ok next time. I am planning to let it go completely flat (on 2% now), turn it off completely and stick it on charge overnight again. Hoping for the best.

PoppyScarer Fri 12-Oct-12 17:33:33

My iPad is also charging slowly/not at all as of this week.

<resists temptation to say this is an Apple conspiracy to make us buy new stuff> grin

I have found that non-Apple chargers charge much faster, FWIW.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Fri 12-Oct-12 17:35:00

Have you been cycling your battery? You should try to do it at least once a week.

zipzap Fri 12-Oct-12 20:54:48

Thanks everybody!

I rarely use the apple charger any more it's lost in the depths of my organised chaos aka my office but I have a £1.99 cheapie from 7 day shop that's upstairs, one downstairs and a USB charging stand linked to my pc. and two car chargers.

And yes (if cycling means running it down to nothing!) that happens at least once a week. If not more. As you can probably tell by my need to have so many chargers all over the place (my old phone was one of those that last a couple of weeks between charges), my phone always runs out on me and I seem to be plugging it in to charge.

I wondered about it being an apple ploy too :-)

I tried it in all my inside chargers - nothing. Blew it out, shook it out, nothing. And then I plugged it in and suddenly it has started to charge. No idea why... Certainly haven't done anything different this time or previous times.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I have no idea why it is now working but hopefully your positive vibes helped grin and it will carry on working!

Aquelven Sat 13-Oct-12 20:43:19

Have you updated to ios6?

If you go on the Apple site communities forums you'll find lots & lots of people complaining about all sorts of problems since they installed the new update, battery problems being one of the common ones.
My iPad runs down the battery almost twice as fast since installing the update. sad

People there are beginning to get very angry.

I've been holding off, this happened at the last major update too. Will continue holding off I think then! Thanks for the warning.

zipzap Mon 15-Oct-12 00:13:27

Nope - haven't updated to iOS 6. Unfortunately am still on 4 something.

Was meaning to get around to upgrading to 5 something, there was always some question that came up telling me that I needed to download something (can't remember if it was phone to pc or vice versa) as it wasn't backed up, did do back ups but still kept saying I needed to do something.

Finally thought sod it, will just do it. and then realised it was a day or two into iOS 6 and I haven't been aable to see a way just to go to 5 instead of 6 sad. And I don't want to jump up to 6 given all the problems people seem to be having!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now